585,762 active members*
4,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > How often do you use your Oscilloscope?

View Poll Results: How often do you use your scope?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everyday

17 15.32%
  • Once in a While

62 55.86%
  • Once in a Year

8 7.21%
  • Almost Never

24 21.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.

How often do you use your Oscilloscope?

I work with servo's and cnc machines as a hobby or for work, and I use my scope..

1. Everyday.
    2. Once in a while.
    3. Once in a year.
    4. Almost never.

I am in the "process" of cosidering a scope. I have a general idea of what I want to spend but am wondering if I will really need it all that much or if component swapping will be enough to troubleshoot to my requirements.

Thanks,

im into electronics and i work with machines that cut lenses for glasses. theses machine are comparable to cnc machines and i dont use scopes very much on them

my recommandation is if you trobleshoot boards that are worth many thousands $$$ get your self a decent scope

if you work with gecko drives and sherlines machines dont spend more than 100$ for a scope

at home i have a scope thats older than me and it's pretty up to the job for hobby stuff

Of all places, a thrift shop!

The staff at the thrift shop had no idea what it was, and priced the scope at $20, probes and all. It is an older 40 MHZ unit but works perfectly. I use it with timing signals.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred in NC
    The staff at the thrift shop had no idea what it was, and priced the scope at $20, probes and all. It is an older 40 MHZ unit but works perfectly. I use it with timing signals.
    I tried that.. A couple of pawn shops had them but they were unknown brands that I could not find information for.. And they wanted to much money.

Murphy

You can get a pretty good analog scope on Ebay these days, cheap! I've seen 100mhz Tektronics that used to go new for 5 grand go for under $200. For 50 or 60 bucks you can get a 60mhz dual trace without much effort. Hitachi, B&K, Philips to name a few.

Phil
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

I got one!

Tektronix 465B with manual and probes. Seller has 99.9% pos feedback with almost 2000 transactions selling stuff just like this. He said it works perfect and has a calibration sticker good to mid 2006.
    I paid $130 for it + shipping !! It ended in the very early morning hours so I had little competition bidding on it..

Murphy

Good deal Murphy!
    Now just learn how to use it.

We just bought a Fluke 196C, and I'm really disappointed! Especially with the support, it su**s. No way are the trusty old Tektronix going to be taken away from my workbench! If it tells lies, I can usually find the reason sitting on my chair.

Quote Originally Posted by ESjaavik
    Good deal Murphy!
    Now just learn how to use it.

We just bought a Fluke 196C, and I'm really disappointed! Especially with the support, it su**s. No way are the trusty old Tektronix going to be taken away from my workbench! If it tells lies, I can usually find the reason sitting on my chair.
    I am pretty familiar with them.... I used to be a PMEL (Presicion Measurement Electronics Lab) technician in the Air Force.. (later changed to TMDE as Test Measurements and Diagnostics Equipment).
    In fact, I think my 465B is one of the models I used to fix.. Its been 20 years since I touched anything that shows a waveform but it took me less than 5 minutes to remember it all...

Fluke usually makes good stuff.. What's wrong with yours?

Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by murphy625
    Fluke usually makes good stuff.. What's wrong with yours?
    Murphy
    It came with a dead accumulator. They sent me a new one (somewhat) promptly, but to me it indicates it was an old-on-the shelf unit. And my suspicion was later reinforced.

Then on an exhibition just some months later, I find that the most recent model have some of the features I'm used to on my (privately owned) old ITT digital scope. (You can tell by the name it's old!) but the one I bought have not. And guess what! They can upgrade the firmware in the one bought just months earlier for the equivalent of about $500! I really get p***ed when they sell us yesterdays news and want to "milk" us for more to bring it up to date. As a comparison I (again privately) delivered my Nikon digicam in for a firmware update and was moderately charged only for the time used. That is what I expect for paying a bit more for a "brand name" product. I'd buy Nikon again no doubt, expensive, but worth every penny.

This is just a couple of the wrong's with it. Bottom line is that as the technical manager of our company, any purchase request for a Fluke will be returned with a question if other possible brands have been properly considered. Our instrument budget probably don't impress Fluke, but if you include my network, I hope it can change the picture. If you worked in US Defence, I guess they listened carefully to what worried you.

The only really positive I've seen, is that the local representative at the mentioned exhibition really knew her product and how to use it to get the most out of it. But Tektronix and others also have capable staff.

Now this may be a local problem, although I believe in most cases "milking customers" is a company policy. So to be sure, get your references locally. It's your first level support that matters when you need it.

And "locally" to me is the Scandinavian market.

I use scopes daily and it's Tektronix all the way. 465Bs, 2247As, a TDS360 and a TDS3014B. Probes are Tektronix as well; bunches of P6109Bs, P3101s and a pair of TCP202 Hall-effect DC-50MHz current probes. There is nothing more irritating than junk probes when you are working. Tek probes are expensive but they are good.

Mariss

I use my scope once a year , about the end of November,
    That Buck is out there someware.
    Just could not resist
    Brad
    IF ITS NOT BROKE YOUR NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH

Ashes to ashes , dust to dust , If it wasnt for Harleys the fast lane would rust.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I just reading this and though someone mite know about what I have had for about 8 mo. . I picked up these at an auction can any of you guys tell me if there any good and what they would be used for ? and maybe what there worth ?

Nicolet 4094B
    HP 1980 B
    Tectronix 475A with a DM44
    Tecteonix 466 with a DM44
    They were suposed to all be working.

thanks if anyone can help ! Dave

im into electronics and i work with machines that cut lenses for glasses
    Dr H, I do the same, although the lenses I make go into nightsights n stuff- I take it you're doing Diamond Machining (me too).

Oscilloscope- I rarely use it- it's an SS5702 and I've only ever used it to check the output on the feedback loops to the axes drivers.. if the signal is too big then the encoders need cleaning, but the machine usualy drops out if this happens anyway.

We got way too much gear here that never gets used.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

To me, a scope is like many other tools that I have. I may only use it once in a while, but when I do, it is worth its weight in gold!
    It will do things a DVM won't and saves me tons of time doing it. On those rare occasions!

Bubba
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

I bought a Tek 475 on eBay for $150. It's very nice, but the delayed sweep doesn't work. A couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd send it for repair, as I didn't need it at the time. Of course, now that it's gone, I need it all the time. Need to tweak the PWM on my motor drivers.

Re: How often do you use your Oscilloscope?

I used the scope once in a while, if I have the time or something special happened!
    ISweek(http://www.isweek.com/)- Industry sourcing & Wholesale industrial products