585,975 active members*
4,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas VF Linear Guides Lubrication

Haas VF Linear Guides Lubrication

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. We own 2 Haas VMC (VF-0 and VF-1) both 1995 models. Recently I was checking the lubrication of the linear guides. I am informed that the valves of the oil lines must be replaced once in a while to make sure that all the linear guides are correctly lubricated.

I have removed the covers and noticed that it is difficult to reach/replace the valves (especially at the Z-Axis). Is there a way to replace them in a short time and how can I find out that the lubricating system is working correctly after replacing these valves?

Thank you guys in advance for the help.

Lubrication

Alex,
    you are quite correct. The restrictor valves do need to be replaced and yes they are difficult to get to. There are 5 on each axis, and there is one for the spindle too located at the rear of the machine behind the main air regulator.
    Each set of five restrictors are screwed into a manifold block. The manifold block must be removed from the axis first (two countersunk screws), then each pipe must be disconnected (the best tool for this job is a 3/8 ring spanner with a 5/32 slot cut into it so you can slip it over the copper pipe).Once each pipe is removed from the manifold block you can remove each restrictor from the manifold, then clean the manifold block and fit new restrictor valves. Make sure you get the restrictors the right way round, there is an arrow on the restrictor to show oil flow.
    The X axis manifold block is located at the right hand side of the table (underneith). The y axis manifold is under the front of the table, and the z axis manifold is located at the rear of the head.
    The only real way to make certain that the lube system is working correctly is to routinely remove the covers and check that the linear guides and ballscrews are wet with oil. Also there is a lubrication pressure switch that should be checked, and a filter that should be replaced or cleaned (all near lube tank)
    Hope this helps

Hi Haas man,

Thank you very much for your information. I will try to replace them and let you know.

Haas_man,

I replaced all the restrictor valves and the machine seems to work fine. I check out the pressure at the back of the machine and it drops form 3 bar to 0 in about 6 minutes, is that ok? On my VF-0 the pressure raises up to 4 bar.

Is the pressure at the VF-1 (3 bar) correct and is there a way to increase the pressure?

Regards,

Alex