586,000 active members*
4,922 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Aluminium Extrusion to choice?

Hey guys, can someone please tellme some websites where can i get some ingo about what kind of aluminium extrusion can be used to make an CNC machine?

I really dont know wich models will be good for the build!

Thanks in advance.
    Jose

the ubiquitous 8020

I picked up all of my T-slot from the 80/20 eBay listings:

http://shop.ebay.com/8020inc/m.html

2 things I learned as I was digging though listings... I'm using 1530 T slot in my project and they sell 4 ft length of the stuff, I found a couple of listings that were cheaper than others because they were "out of spec" in that the 2 holes as the ends of them, the center-to-center measurement was out of spec, but the T slot parts were fine. Yet the end holes still lined up in joining plates without issue for me as well... win/win.

Also sometimes it is just better to get the 4ft sections of 1530 instead of the random lengths they have listed. The width of my mill was based on a random length I got and looking back I would of been smarter to just get the 4 ft pieces and make a wider mill. Oh well.

Here is my build thread, long winded but I think there is some useful info in there:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91481

Later.

I just bought a bunch of the out of spec 1530 also, good find.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Can anybody reccomend a place in the u.k that sells this or similar ?

Quote Originally Posted by samsagaz View Post
    Hey guys, can someone please tellme some websites where can i get some ingo about what kind of aluminium extrusion can be used to make an CNC machine?

I really dont know wich models will be good for the build!

Thanks in advance.
    Jose
    Like a lot of users here, I'm useing 80/20 on my current build that I got from ebay. Most of the recommendations you are going to get are for what's available in the US. Since you are in Argentina, you may want to call up a local metal shop and see what they have available. They may be able to save you a ton in shipping that could make up any savings from buying off of ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by coleysbiscuit View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread. Can anybody reccomend a place in the u.k that sells this or similar ?
    Hi here you go give these a try, I've used them and great people to deal with.
    http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/a..._Movement.html

I guess it depends on how big you are making your machine. I'm working on a smaller sized one that I intend to use for PCB milling. I'd been toiling over all the designs and trying to figure what I was actually going to use for building it until I ran across this site. If you are building a smaller machine, then these guys might have what you need.

Hope that helps...

Quote Originally Posted by shtoink View Post
    I guess it depends on how big you are making your machine. I'm working on a smaller sized one that I intend to use for PCB milling. I'd been toiling over all the designs and trying to figure what I was actually going to use for building it until I ran across this site. If you are building a smaller machine, then these guys might have what you need.

Hope that helps...
    I can see how those would be suitable for components on a machine but how were you envisioning useing them to build a machine?

http://www13.boschrexroth-us.com/Fra...t.aspx?units=1

Make an account to get online pricing and no quote request annoyances. Very wide selection.

http://www.automation4less.com/store...s.asp?cat=1172

Prices are available online

I use Robotunits Prices available here