585,573 active members*
3,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > What do you want in a 2.5d vector app?

What do you want in a 2.5d vector app?

I've started planning out the 2.5D Vector/Vcarve app I'm going to write next. I've got a list of all the standard vector tools and pathing options, but if I do all that, that still just puts me at feature parity with existing programs like VCarve Pro. I'll be charging significantly less (I'm thinking $100, $75 if you already own carve), but I'd like to come up with some useful capabilities that make it better than the competition on more than just price, like Carve's ability to generate profile passes from the image alpha to cut out the carving.

Currently, I'm planning on a standard set of 2d vector creation/modification tools, along with the usual path options: profile, pocket, vcarve, drill, prism, and inlay helper. Also, if you own Carve as well, you'll be able to generate heightmap passes to mix with the vector work.

So - what sort of new features/abilities would ya'll like to see in a 2.5d vector CAM program?
    Creator of www.diy-cam.com - inexpensive CAM software for hobbyists.

i just hit one i wished was in vcp - but it's kinda odd ... so for a client's sign, i cut out a bunch of letters that he's going to fasten to a backer ... in order for him to keep his brand and get the letters lined up properly, i drew and cut a pair of dowel pockets in each part -- the idea being i'd give him a drilling pattern to follow so that the spacing and all that is perfect

well i drew it all just fine in vcp ... i have a layer with the drilling guide - just some lines and crosses where he should drill but i needed to print it out somehow - tiled with registration marks so that i could reassemble the pattern in 8.5x11 sheets of paper

vcp didn't have this - i ultimately exported each drilling guide to SVG, opened it in Inkscape, adjusted the page size to fit my sheets of paper, then saved as PDF. Acrobat reader has a "poster mode" for printing which puts out the separate pages with registration marks to reassemble it

pretty edge - but the application is one i can see being kinda common for smaller-sized machines .. being able to print vectors over multiple pages for uses such as this would be neat, if the feature isn't too painful to create
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

I have had my CNC machine on the back burner for a year, and really need to get it going again. I just saw this post and had to say THANK YOU in advance. I have been hoping for a cost effective v-carve program for so long now. I cant wait!

Good luck with your build Fyddler . I'm working on a second machine currently that I can keep up in the office by my dev system (12"x12" cut area, but super rigid and hopefully very fast). Been trying to take plenty of pictures and writing up documentation as I go so I can release plans for it once its done. Hopefully will have that done in the next month or so (just waiting on a few last bits and pieces to arrive so I can wrap it up).

If you need a free v-carve only program, F-Engrave works pretty well, though it can be a little slow to calculate sometimes. There's just a lot of times you need to mix v-carving with all sorts of other vector path ops that it can't cover.

Beamerweb, that should be quite simple to program and sounds useful, so its on the to-do list
    Creator of www.diy-cam.com - inexpensive CAM software for hobbyists.

Currently I have a JRGO that I built, but I really need to replace my drive screws with something better than what I have now. It works, but slow And sloppy. I use v-carve that someone else owns at the moment. What am I looking for? Really just an affordable solution. I can't think of any specifics my needs are pretty simple, mostly. Just V-carving signs for friends at an affordable price!

I know you said you wanted to offer more features than the competition but I honestly feel if you could simply offer a program with the same features and do it at the price point you're shooting for it would be an overnight hit. Vcarve is great software as is aspire but the cost prohibits/limits the purchase for many of us. I for one would love to see a Lower cost solution. And no, Cut 2d ain't it!
    Let's do apples to apples at least!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

+1! Even if it was not quite as functional, the price point is going to make it very attractive.