584,812 active members*
5,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > OpenSource CNC Design Center > Open Source Controller Boards > New Linistepper design, PMinMO compatible, kit sale.

View Poll Results: What are the most important driver features to you?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Open source firmware and board layout freely available

72 70.59%
  • Low parts-count and cost for home building

34 33.33%
  • Low kit price to get running on a budget

27 26.47%
  • Smooth / low resonance modes for better performance

43 42.16%
  • Faster / more reliable operation w/ low cost surplus motors

31 30.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 8 1234

Price Increase... not much, but we can't really avoid it.

Due to increased costs of shipping and a couple of the components, we are going to have to raise the price of the Linistepper kit a couple of dollars.

If you've been thinking about buying one, now is the time to jump! The price change won't go into effect until next week, so order now.

The price of the design is still the same: Free! As in free for you to use if you make your own. But even at the higher price, I don't think anyone can order the components for less... we get really good discounts on our parts.

verify error with pic16f628

I finally got the boards made and populated and mostly assembled in a case..

lots of work to do yet..

I'm having problems programming the hex file into the pic16f628. I tried the original hex file and also tried compileing the file with mplab and get the same results.
    When I program it i get a verify failed!! using picpgm with jdm programmer.

Its not the pic or the programmer as I can program other hex files to the ic and they verify fine.

will try again this weekend..

l8r...

errata..

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    Did you catch the errata in the Linistepper v2 build instructions? I can't view your board files, or I would check for you.

Thanks, best of luck.
    Yes I seen the cut trace and wired to the other pin... its already in the file I uploaded before..

l8r..

Sam- check the LVP pin on the 16F628A, especially if it is the 16F628 (not A) which is known to be fussy in regards to the LVP pin. It's a common cause of a program/verify error message with many programmers.

An easy fix is usually to put a 1k resistor from the LVP pin to ground on your programmers 18 pin PIC socket.

I had problems with programming also. I built jdm2 programmer, and finally was able to program my 16F628A using WinPic and using slow mode. I made that Sam Waters version of linistepper and it works nicely. Strangely i get much better rpm with Mach3 than with EMC2, and full step is much smoother than 1/2 or microsteps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lini.jpg  

Has anyone used this motor with the linstepper2?
    http://www.alltronics.com/mas_assets/acrobat/25M002.pdf

A higher voltage, lower amperage motor would be a better fit. For example:
    http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/it...-stepper-motor gets you quite a bit more torque for a reasonable price. There is a list of good motors for the Linistepper at:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/st...tep/motors.htm

Thank you for the info James. I want to try and avoid purchasing more equipment if possible. I have a few bipolar nema23 motors I might try and dig up more info on.

Just realized that I hadn't pointed out one good option for finding nice Stepper motors on the cheap: Several of the motors listed at
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/st...tep/motors.htm are found in old laser printers and photocopiers. If you call up the local computer and office equipment repair places, they often scrap these old units and will happily give them to you in return for towing them off. Once you pull the motors (any anything else you want) you can dispose of the rest for them in return. I've gotten a number of stepper motors out of old printers this way. The old HP printers had some monster motors in them!

I've updated the list of motors that should work well with the Linistepper to add some good options and make it really easy to find motors online. There is now a Find column that you can click to search google for the mfgr and model. After you get the first page of search results, if you want to narrow it a bit, click on "Shopping" at the top of the page and google will show you only entries that are known to google to be product listings.

http://techref.massmind.org/techref/...tep/motors.htm

There is also a form at the bottom to submit your suggestions for new stepper motors. Please limit them to unipolar capable only (5 to 8 wire, NOT 4 wire) motors and lower amperage ranges. e.g. less than 2 or 3 amps per phase.

If you like the layout of the database, I wonder if another version for all types of motors would be useful? Perhaps with a set of columns for the pin out or wire colors if they are known?

Nice review of the Linistepper from PCB Heaven. If you haven't checked out their site, it's really worth looking at.

Product Review - Linistepper - Electronic Circuit BLOG

Any one send me a hex. for linistepper ver 2..

Hi!
    Quote Originally Posted by levon18lopez View Post
    Any one send me a hex. for linistepper ver 2..
    Here is. Works well for PIC16F628-20/P at 16MHz.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Slightly modified Sam Waters V2 eagle files. Some minor modifications was added. Built and tested with PIC16F628-20/P.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails linistepper v2_SS_3D.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is Linistepper compatible with 3.6 degree motors (100 steps / rev) ?

Just a quick question about motor compatibility.

I have been reading the PIClist, Microchip PIC webpages and cannot find any confirmation that the Linistepper V2b board is compatible with steppermotors that rotate at anything other than 200 steps / rev (1.8 degrees). Logically I cannot see why this should make any difference, but I have not found any "official" confirmation of this.

I read with interest the pcbheaven.com review:

Nice review of the Linistepper from PCB Heaven. If you haven't checked out their site, it's really worth looking at.

Product Review - Linistepper - Electronic Circuit BLOG
    Really nice and thorough review here :cheers:, and Giorgos seems to have tested motors with alternative steppings (24 and 48 steps / rev). On the basis of this I have ordered some boards and preprogrammed pics (the kits are currently on backorder).

The motors I intend to use are "Howard Ind. 1-19-4201" with the following specification (gathered from the internerd ... if anybody has a copy of the datasheet for these, I would be very grateful for a copy):

Step resolution 3.6deg (100 steps per rotation), Operating voltage 24 V, Line resistance 140 Ω, Continuous current 160 mA, Wiring: common=black, A+= brown, A-=red, B+= green, B-= white.

Any comments on the suitability of these motors would be greatly appreciated.

You are right, it doesn't make any real difference and the Linistepper does work with any 2 phase, unipolar motor up to a few amps (depending on the mode) and between about 9 and 35 volts no matter how much it turns when you step it.

Those motors should be fine, but you will need to adjust the sense resistors way up to keep from overdriving them.

And, by the way, I'll have kits back in stock around the end of this week.

nice

Quote Originally Posted by technik View Post
    Slightly modified Sam Waters V2 eagle files. Some minor modifications was added. Built and tested with PIC16F628-20/P.
    Nice 3d view of the board.. What software did you use to create this picture?

Note: Ive been using the boards that I made using 3 amp motors ( with the tip-142 transistors) for 6 months now with no problems... They get hot but no burn outs yet, and runs very quiet in 18 mode..

You are right, it doesn't make any real difference and the Linistepper does work with any 2 phase, unipolar motor up to a few amps (depending on the mode) and between about 9 and 35 volts no matter how much it turns when you step it.
    Many thanks for confirming that. I think I had been reading so much around the subject I had ended up confusing myself.

Those motors should be fine, but you will need to adjust the sense resistors way up to keep from overdriving them.
    Using the calculator, I reckon that these Howard Ind. 1-19-4201 motors will need around 6.25 ohms @ 0.5W for the sense resistors. I have ordered 3 boards, but will experiment with one first, to measure the performance of these motors.

And, by the way, I'll have kits back in stock around the end of this week.
    Good news, keep up the good work, and thank you for your help.

Hi!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Waters View Post
    Nice 3d view of the board.. What software did you use to create this picture?
    The used SW is the Eagle 3D and Povray. Here is a quick tutorial how to use it.

Hi folks!

I discovered a problem with my implementation of LiniStepper mentioned above (my post with 3D picture). I thought that it works fine but no. As you can see, I replaced the ceramic resonator with a quartz cristall and two 22pF ceramic condensators. During tests the 5V supply for PIC was taken from PC's USB port. But when I built a breakout board with an onboard L7805 regulator something strange happened. I tried two regulators. With first (L7805CP) there was no motor movement, no steps. With the second regulator (L7805CV) my stepper motors started to work, but lose some steps. I measured voltage on L7805 (5.02V) and USB (4.85V) and started to think that the different voltage caused my problem. So I picked up mu lab. power supply and connected my linistepper to it. The result was pretty strange: between 3.8V and 4.9V everything worked well, but above 4.9V the LiniStepper started to loose steps. In my implementation I used BDT63C darlingtons instead of TIP122 (I have them in spare). They are similar with 10A collector current.

If you have any suggestion, please drop a replay.
    Thanks in advance!

Page 2 of 8 1234