584,846 active members*
3,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Need suggestions for very small tip tool

Need suggestions for very small tip tool

I have a job that is cutting logos in hard wood. The detail is such that the cutting is only 0.5 mm (0.02") in depth. To now I have been using the Whiteside SC50 carving liner bit. The very tip just broke, but could have been operator error.

Are there any other options out there?

I can use 1/8" or 1/4" shanks.

Steve.

If you have any kind of a spin fixture with the capability to load a blank in it, you can grind your own. I've done this with a 5C collet fixture and use the shank from an old worn out tool like an endmill or a burr.

Grind a cone shaped end. Then grind a spade type end by grinding halfway through until you get to the centerline. This will create a tool with zero clearance which may work in wood, I don't know.

To create clearance, you'd need to decenter the tool a little bit when you grind the cone. If you've got an accurate collet fixture, you can offset it by slipping a piece of .002 shimstock in one side. Grind the cone, this time it will be eccentric. You'd need to mark the direction of the eccentricity, so that when you grind the spade face, you grind it in such a manner as to get the maximum eccentricity on whichever side of the spade you intend to lead in rotation. This creates cutting clearance for the tip. Such a tool will also cut a .004 wide flat in the bottom. But because it is actually cutting instead of mushing the material out of the way, it may live longer.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Can you specify whiteside tool # and hardwood cpiecies?

The Whiteside number was SC50 called a Carving Liner, Woodcraft and such use their own numbers for it. I was cutting madrone, walnut and another dark wood. Job is complete now.

For the damaged bit, I am going to try HuFlungDung's idea or maybe a grinding stone while turning the bit in reverse.

With the replacement bit, I did engrave a number of laminate pieces for handouts at a picnic.

I was suggested to try bits from Harveytool.com and they look very reasonable. Haven't had another job that needed one that small, but planning to order from them in the future.

Steve.

Whiteside tooling is not greatest but for hobbyst it is worth money.
    It does not hold up in production environment. Been there done that. This is not my first rodeo partner.
    There are five major carbide manufacturers on US market if you think about it, spend $350K for 5 axis grinder made in Switzerland buy carbide blank and make profit 1 buck a piece after macining does that make sence? You really get what you pay for. But again I will stress whiteside you get bang for your $$$.
    Looks like you need adjust feeds and speeds based on your material being cut.
    I would suggest looking for similar tool with onsrud and read their catalog with chip loads and do some calculations. This a good start, trust me.

Big-tex - I don't disagree except that for wood Whiteside has been tested and proven equivalent to Onsrud in wood. For my 1/2" shank table router, I have several Onsrud bits and they are excellent.

I get end mills from Grainger that are a Cleveland brand name. They are also made in USA.

My CNC spindle motor is a Kress brand from Switzerland and while an awesome motor, has a unique collet size and only accepts 1/8" and 1/4" shank tools. My local Woodcraft doesn't stock Onsrud in those shank diameters and I usually buy as I need one that day.

Steve.

I've been using these for PCB machining, and have been pleased. The stub length are much more stable, obviously, than the longer tips.

http://mctinfo.net/carbide-end-mills/cat_13.html

This is a supplier that I use for mini, engraving, minor milling 2L inc.
    I have had good luck with them. I would get a catalog and look at the various tooling options and I think you will find what you are looking for.
    Good Luck