585,991 active members*
6,480 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Eurotech?

Eurotech?

Anyone out there have any experience with Eurotech's Mill turn machines? I am looking to purchase a new multitasking lathe and eurotech is one of the companies responding to our "sources sought" but never heard of them...

thanks!

AKA urintech.
    Only with the older ones. don't know about the new ones. Good mill-turn machines
    Mori Seiki
    Okuma
    Mazak (they have had the most success the longest of anyone, but lots of complaints about service)
    Nakamura
    Tsugami (small )
    others, and someone else will hopefully chime in.

Eurotech

Quote Originally Posted by mechematt View Post
    Anyone out there have any experience with Eurotech's Mill turn machines? I am looking to purchase a new multitasking lathe and eurotech is one of the companies responding to our "sources sought" but never heard of them...

thanks!
    mechematt,

I do field service and rebuild Eurotech turning centers for the importer in Florida. I work for a used machinery dealer so I see lots of different machines and controls. By the way, the machines are built in Italy by Biglia (say "Beel-ya"...) and are marketed as "Eurotech" in the US.

IMO, Eurotech does "bells and whistles" (i.e. multi-tasking) as well as anyone and better than most. Of course, any machine tool is only as good as the support available: parts, service, applications, etc. so find out who your local dealer is and ask questions. If the dealer is weak, the support from "Eurotech Elite" in Florida is outstanding! In this day and age it would behoove all prospective machine tool buyers to try to call the OEM for support before buying and check it out. A dangerous trend I'm seeing is the OEM wanting your credit card number before providing support. "ARE YOU KIDDING ME !!!" Most of the big-name builders have had to make DEEP personnel cuts to stay afloat. Often, the guys with most experience were making the biggest bucks and were let go to stop the bleeding.

All Eurotech machines are equipped with Fanuc controls - without question the most reliable controls available. Most of the machine components are "top shelf" stuff also. Fit and finish is typical Italian artistic attention to detail. Some of the late-90's machines were equipped with mega-crappy Duplomatic turrets. Biglia saw the carnage and developed their own turrets that are completely reliable.

I'll be happy to give you my 2-cents worth regarding any particular questions you might have.

Best regards,

emexcee380

thanks for the info, emexcee380. How are they rigidity-wise (i.e. I currenlty have Mori, Mitsubishi and Haas HMC's; Haas, Hardinge, giddings and lewis lathes: here are serious differences in how much metal each can remove...)?
    What sort of drive mechanism do they use to drive the live tooling?

We are the importer for Eurotech machines. I think you will find they are very rigid - depending on the model, the machines are either all linear, a hybrid linear/box, or all box way. Typically the live tooling provides twice the torque of most of our competitors. It is driven utilizing the Fanuc motor and a series of gears. The tools themselves have a tang that engages in the drive mechanism. Only the tool in the cutting position is driven. Turrets themselves use a hefty hirth coupling. Please feel free to contact us regarding any specific questions and we can give you a number of customers to contact about their experience with our equipment.

Regards,
    Jeff Walz
    Eurotech Elite
    www.EurotechElite.com
    [email protected]