585,744 active members*
4,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Doosan lathe video anyone?

Does anyone have any video of a Doosan in action? I am looking into purchasing one in the Puma lineup, 240 or 1500. With live tooling, y axis and maybe the subspindle. If no video, does anyone have any opinions on these machines?

Unless you REALLY need the subspindle, I recommend you avoid getting a lathe with one. I took the dive and went for a used Puma 200 MSA (subspindle and live tooling). Great machine, but I spend a lot of time figuring out ways to max out my travels without bouncing off the large sub assembly. A tailstock assembly is a fair bit smaller so you get more X axis clearance. I do so much work close to the sub that I've removed the chuck on it and replaced it with a heavy machined nylon cap to protect the important surfaces in case I bump the subspindle with the turret.

I haven't used the sub yet, but on half of my parts we work pretty close to bumping it.

I wish I had Y axis, but I don't know if it would come with some other complications. Getting long boring bars to cut dead centre is a bit of a pain with my VDI (old school it seems) turret. Being able to tweak it with a Y axis offset would be pretty handy. I run a lot of gang tools. I can see it being handy to able to have some gang tools arrayed in the Y axis direction for my smaller parts. I try to use gang tools before tool changing because it's usually faster than having to go to a tool change station.

Overall, I'm very happy with my Daewoo. The subspindle mistake is my own judgement, but the machine is a good production value machine. Service from my Daewoo rep is excellent, and I'm happy to have good access to spare parts despite my machine being a '97 build.

Doosan

Thanks Madmax. The sub spindle was not needed item, and your comment convinced me against it. I dont mind doing a 2nd op hand load. I think I will go with the y-axis tho, that would be a plus. The rep that sold me our CMM also reps for Doosan. I am going next week to see some setup and operating.