584,837 active members*
5,439 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > SGDA-04VS + servo + wiring

SGDA-04VS + servo + wiring

Hi All,

I used to work with CNC 15years ago, till recently when I got involded in a factory stock clean up...

purpose is first to get a single controller+ servo working again and w'll see from there, idea is , like many here , to make my own 3axis build. not only the build build also the programming intrigues me ..

so hereby , my first question
    the controller :
    Yaskawa SGDA-04VS Servopack , which think is a speed controller and not a torque controller , for 'playing' around more than enough .
    the servo...saddly enough someone manager to wipe the details partially.

my questions:
    -can I drive the SGDA straight from serial port (RS232)or do I need some middleware?
    -
    does anybody have a idea about the servo wiring?

- the thick orange (labelled : KEB 00.S4.019-0010) one has 3 thick leads(the 3 phases) and 2x2 thinner wires coming out.

- the other orange (labelled : KEB 00.S4.109-010) wire is most likely the encoder and has 5 black wires with no marking.

I tried the search function first but did not find the info I needed,

all help/feedback welcome

for easy of use I temporarly added the images to my other website

small image
    http://www.roofthooft.com/cnc/small-100_2263.jpg

large image
    http://www.roofthooft.com/cnc/100_2263.JPG

Best regards,
    Luc

Luc,

The SGDA04VS is a speed and torque control drive.

The RS232 is for drive setup and commissioning only. The SGDA is controlled via pins 1 & 2 (torque) or pins 3 and 4 (speed) with a +-10v analog reference signal. This signal is usually supplied from a motion controller of some sort. Galil, PMAC, Fanuc, Allen Bradley, etc...

Here is a nice page that shows the wiring of the SGDA servo drive. http://www.mech.northwestern.edu/cou...ervomotors.htm

Also, that looks like a Seidel SM series servo motor. You will have a difficult time running it with the SGDA if it is. The SM series motors have resolvers for feedback reference to the drive and the SGDA is designed for quadrature encoder feedback. The Yaskawa drives were designed to run primarily with the Yaskawa servo motors. The motors must be matched by both wattage and voltage. The V in your SGDA-04VS signifies a 200 volt drive your motor also needs to be a 200 volt motor. The SGDA uses the SGM series of motors. A SGM-04V312 or a SMG-04A312 are appropriate motors for your drive.

If you want to run that Seidel motor, consider sourcing a Kollmorgen ServoStar 400 or 600 in the right wattage. That motor looks like a 500 watt drive to me, just going by the size of the motor as compared to the Yaskawa drive.

See if you can get the servo motor's information by trying a magnifying glass or something. I know it's hard to read, but unless you can get it's make/model, it's going to be trial and error (mostly error) to find something that will run it.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much , this information is very helpfull .

I'll try to get the reading from the motor , altough I'm aftraid it's is beyond readability .

I'll have a look in the garage this weekend to see if I can come up with some other motors.

Thanks again for this information

best regards,
    Luc

Hello there,

I went to the garage but could not come up with anything usefull (yaskawa motors) , however , I did get another present this weekend, and this might be more suited for a starter like me,

3 stepper motor + driver...again the wire colouring seems to be a company secret again since I can't find any usefull on the ww web

small one:
    PK268-02A-C33 2Phase 1/8 step
    print C7672-042

medium one:
    A5110-9412K 2Phase 1/8 step
    print C7672-042

large one:
    A5109-9412K 2Phase 1/8 step
    print C7675-044

maybe I should buy a small breakout board for three steppers and loose the 'unknown' drivers, however since the came with I might try to find things out .

(got them for free so no complaints here ;-)

regards,
    Luc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2308.jpg  

Hi Lena,

Did you manage to get those drives to work yet?
    I found 2 of those today together with 2 of the same big NEMA 34 motors so i will give it a try in a day or two.
    The drives are kind of weird since they have 5 opto couplers on the input and a vexta ic that i could not find a datasheet for, so i have no clue what it does. The other stuff i can easily find out, so far from just looking at it i know they are unipolar drives with adjustable output current but i have yet to figure out how the current limiting works and how much can it actually handle.
    Stay tuned....