585,888 active members*
3,773 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

oiling series 1 rigid ram

I am about done my retrofit gutting electric drive, replace w/ geckos and using original steppers. Machine runs, moves, and is accurate. It has a bijor oiling system, which may / may not work. I know the gears spin when I apply 120v electric but thats it. I'm afraid to run too many test jobs on it without knowing its properly lubed, especially the spindle. The ways seem to be oily, the ballscrews x,y seem to be oiliy too.

At first glance on the top of the machine, I cant seem to find anything that says "grease here ->" or "oil here ->". When the spindle runs I can hear some chatter, of course.

Does the spindle require manual oiling or does the pump handle that? Does anyone have pics or a manual that show the oiling points on this? Thanks

-Erich
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

After some years use the metering ports at the end of each lube point can become clogged, usually the only way is to replace the metering device, each has a number stamped on it indicating the orifice number.
    Often only a couple of ports end up with lube, when the rest get clogged.
    Can't tell you if the spindle gets lubed this way however.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

series 1 oiling

Hello Erich the main parts of the machine such as the slideways, ballscrews, that is the X, Y, and the Z axis is fed by the pump. The Bijur pump needs to run when the spindle is running and cut the spindle power if the oil level goes low as indicated by the float switch which is in the pump container and controlled by the extra 2 wires to the 120 volt pump motor power. The rest of the head spindle parts and bearings are all sealed with grease, the overflow from the Z axis ballscrew runs down over the top and the lubricates the quill, so you will eventualy see oil running out from the bottom of the quill.
    Hope this helps Cheers Colin.

Ok thanks for the replies. I hard-wired my pump to run, and it doesnt appear to raise the pressure, or overflow I dont see it seeping out anywhere. Before I use the machine I just squirt the ways down with 10w-40 oil anyway.

Just the spindle has me a bit worried, I read in the manual its sealed grease bearings, and was checking to make sure, since obviously I wouldnt want to run this and find out I have an unusual version that needs oil in some spot thats not obvious.

-Erich
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.