585,877 active members*
3,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

mandrel bending

Is mandrel bending when you don't collapse the inner part of the metal? Also is a mandrel bend stronger than a conventional style bend?

Mandrel bending refers to using dies to help form the bend. They can be either round
    or square, and help to control the side deformation of tubing bends.

thanks a lot I just want to bend some square stock to make a trailer. I am researching if a mandreal bend would be stronger. And also what kind of pipe bender I would need to bend square

"Is mandrel bending when you don't collapse the inner part of the metal?" Yes, the end result is as you say and this is achieved with a special type of bender (mandrel bender) that is very expensive. "Also is a mandrel bend stronger than a conventional style bend?" Yes because you don't have the deformation on the inside of the bend. HOWEVER, none of the above is relevant if you're talking about the construction of a trailer in square wall tubing as mandrel bending is normally used in (A) things such as race car/bike exhaust systems or hydraulic systems where an even flow rate is required due to the consistant internal diameter offered by a mandrel bend or (B) things such as tubular chassis' where maximum strength versus minimum weight is required. A trailer can hardly be considered to fit the above criteria and as well as that I'd imagine keeping costs down is also a consideration.
    Skippy

Quote Originally Posted by skippy
    "Is mandrel bending when you don't collapse the inner part of the metal?" Yes, the end result is as you say and this is achieved with a special type of bender (mandrel bender) that is very expensive. "Also is a mandrel bend stronger than a conventional style bend?" Yes because you don't have the deformation on the inside of the bend. HOWEVER, none of the above is relevant if you're talking about the construction of a trailer in square wall tubing as mandrel bending is normally used in (A) things such as race car/bike exhaust systems or hydraulic systems where an even flow rate is required due to the consistant internal diameter offered by a mandrel bend or (B) things such as tubular chassis' where maximum strength versus minimum weight is required. A trailer can hardly be considered to fit the above criteria and as well as that I'd imagine keeping costs down is also a consideration.
    Skippy
    thanks a lot skippy I didn't think I needed one either