586,009 active members*
4,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mill feed's and speeds?

Just wondering what you all re using for feeds and speeds on your TAIG's? I'm doing a part right now, doing slot cutting I guess you call it, cutting out the outline. using 4flt 1/4" cutter, 2nd from bottom Pulley, 9IPM feed cutting .040" per pass. But I'm cutting 1.5" total. This results in alot of passes. How deep can I effectively go for slot cutting? This is in 6061 T6 Alum with Flood cooling too

You should be using a higher spindle speed than that with a 1/4 in cutter. Try the second highest speed (6700) rpm and about 12 ipm. Find a depth of cut that doesn't cause too much chatter. You can probably get away with .050" per pass. If it chatters back off on the depth of cut.

Also on aluminum you should be using a 2 flute cutter especially in these smaller sizes. There is more room for the chips to get out and there is less chance of chip welding especially as your passes get deeper.

I got the above figures from the online feed and speed calculator at http://www.custompartnet.com/calcula...speed-and-feed for a 2 flute .25" cutter at 400 sfpm.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    You should be using a higher spindle speed than that with a 1/4 in cutter. Try the second highest speed (6700) rpm and about 12 ipm. Find a depth of cut that doesn't cause too much chatter. You can probably get away with .050" per pass. If it chatters back off on the depth of cut.

Also on aluminum you should be using a 2 flute cutter especially in these smaller sizes. There is more room for the chips to get out and there is less chance of chip welding especially as your passes get deeper.

I got the above figures from the online feed and speed calculator at http://www.custompartnet.com/calcula...speed-and-feed for a 2 flute .25" cutter at 400 sfpm.

bob
    Thx, normally I use a 2 flt, on the 3rd or 4th from bottom, but my 4 flt is a 6" overal length fro deep pockets, and thats what I am doing 1.5" deep. I chuck the bit up so only the lenght out is what I need basically. 6700RPM and 12IPM on that cutter, it squeals like crazy. Slower RPM I found less noise/chatter.

12 IPM feed still seems a bit slow to me.

For my G-Wizard speeds and feeds calculator, I used Niagara's info. They're middle of the road. Exotic coatings, high helix, and so on will get you even more performance.

But, for this application, Niagara wants a little over 400 SFM and a chipload of 0.0020 to 0.0025 depending on your depth of cut on their basic HSS endmills:

http://www.niagaracutter.com/techinf..._mat/6061.html

If I crank that all through G-Wizard (actually, just tell it aluminum, 1/4" 2 flute, HSS Endmill, full slot, and 0.050 depth of cut), it says 6100 rpm and 29.5 IPM.

If it was me, I would run the higher chipload and feed and just monitor the depth of cut until I got something chatter free. That depth of cut is really going to be a function of the rigidity of your machine and setup. You can try up to the width of the endmill, which would be 0.250" deep cut. Not sure the Taig can hack that though.

As was mentioned, 1.5" is getting pretty deep. Chip clearance will be very important. I'd go with the 2 flute for sure cutting that deep. Get the flood going good on it.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

if I could get 30IPM cutting, I would, but 12-15 is the max. This is a Taig were talking about too, so regidity isn't up there like the big boys

And I allways cut with Flood cooling, LOTS of it so no chip buildups

I've had very good results with the following :

cheap 2 flute carbide 1/4" cutter
    6700 RPM (second fastest belt setting)
    12ipm
    .040-.090 depth of cut depending on what I am doing. I generally don't exceed 0.050 for full width.