584,862 active members*
4,814 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Counter sink hole

I did a drawing in 2d. It has a hole of about 1" diameter. I want to counter sink the hole about a 1/4". I have the tool to do everything except the counter sink, which will be 3d. Can I do it without a 3d program?

Yoram

Yes. In 2d just interpolate the 1.0" hole with a counter sink or chamfer tool to the size you want. Just calculate for the angle and depth.

I'm using DeltaCad. I may have reached its limits. I cannot chamfer in the top view which is, ultimatly, the tool path view, because it will not chamfer circles. I can chamfer in the side view but that will not help me much if I don't get it into the top view.

Yoram

Can you cut a circle at all? By a contour method? At least that way you'll get some code you can use. Or just hand write it. :cheers:

Yes, it will cut a circle but don't ask me to modify it since that is what I'm asking you how to do. To me it is still all Chinese.

Since I'm not familiar with DeltaCam (which I thought was only a cad platform... didn't know you can program with it) I'll just try run this over with you assuming some capabilities of the system.

You shouldn't actually have to draw a chamfer to cut it. You already have a 1." hole so use that. Let's say you have a 3/4 x 45deg countersink or chamfer tool. So for purposes of getting code, call that tool a .100 endmill. Now do a contour cut inside the hole. Now you just control your 'Z' depth to get the size you want. Assuming its a 1/4" x 45deg chamfer, you would move in 'Z' (-.250) plus 1/2 the diameter of the tool for a total of (-.300) in 'Z' if you're programming with comp. If you're centerline programming, then you need to add .05 to cutter comp at the machine and still move -.300 in the program.

If the angle of your chamfer is different, say 60deg (30deg) or 82 deg (41deg) then just calculate for 'Z' given those angles.

Hope this is what you're looking for. :cheers:

Not quite wat I was looking for. :-) First let me say that I did say DeltaCad and not DeltaCam. ;-).

The counter sink was just one exemple of what I want to do it I thing it is the simplest. If I'll solve it I'll know how to do the other one.

In your solution you use a angled tool. What if the tool was flat or ball? How can I do it then?

Yoram

You make multiple passes, calculating the depth and position of the tool at each pass. Not the easiest way, but the cheapest. (no CAM needed.)
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

TigerPilot I think we are a little confused on what it is you want to accomplish, at least I am ???

What I think you are needing is to draw the part for creating the g-code later on. If this is the case I do not see a need to draw this counter sink in 2D.

In machining this portion you typically would have three operations.
    1) spot drill
    2) drill
    3) countersink
    All using the same center point in the drawing only the tool and depth of cut would change.

He wants to use only one tool, I think.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Tigerpilot,

Let's say that you want a 90 countersink. You should draw a bunch of circles, each one .016" larger in radius than the previous one. They should go from 1" dia to 1.50" dia.

In your CAM program, you would have to link each circle to a depth. Each circle would be .016" deeper than the next outer circle. Pocket out each circle.

This will give you a crude 1/4" chamfer around your 1" hole, with .016" steps. If you want it finer, trying using .008" as a step.

What if the tool was flat or ball? How can I do it then?
    Well, like this....

You make multiple passes, calculating the depth and position of the tool at each pass. Not the easiest way, but the cheapest. (no CAM needed.)
    Or you'll have to do it in a 3D toolpath.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21
    He wants to use only one tool, I think.
    Yes, I do (are we now married?)

The idea to make gradually increasing circles, in depth and in width, will work for this part.

Let me ask it a little different. I want to make a path of, let say 6”. I want it to make a cut 1” on x and 1” on z at the same time so that the cut will be at 45°. I then will travel 4” on x, which is not a problem and then come up again at 45°.

In the long run I might have to start using 3d cad. I didn't want to do it since it is much more difficult but may be the only solution. As I’ve said, I love DeltaCad which I found very intuitive to learn and use. I wish some one will make a 3d program as easy as that. In drafting you draw in three views and extrapolate from this the isometric. Why can a computer program not do it too?

Thank you all for the input anyway. It did help my thought process.

Yoram

How about using a helix.

You many need to put a full circle at top and bottom to cleanup the entry and exit cuts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails helix.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea
    How about using a helix.

You many need to put a full circle at top and bottom to cleanup the entry and exit cuts.
    That is what i meant with counter sink but I think you made it in 3d and I was curious if I can make it in 2d and add a little code to make it. I say little since I don't want to tax my abilities as of yet.

If someone has a sample program I can take a look at and maybe work from there.

Yoram

The G-code for the helix is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The G-code for the helix is attached.
    Ken, you da man my friend. Would you have a gcode for the path I've mentioned 2 post above?

Thanks, man.

Yoram.

Yoram,
    Do you have a drawing of what you want the code for ?

Yoram,
    Do you have a drawing of what you want the code for ?
    Yes, I do (sheesh, the second time today).

First a little history. I want to build a homebuilt canard airplane , an Eracer, which is made out of foam and Epoxy / Fiberglass composite. It is a plan built plane. The wings are cut with hotwire and there are six sections. I don’t want to cut it by hand since I have to sit in it eventually. So I looked around and saw that people are cutting foam wings with a computer driven machine and I decided to build one. So if I make a machine why not cut all the foam parts with a router and shape them too? One part, which I’m still far away from, is the retractable nose gear and its two mounting plates. These plates have four holes in them for the gear pivot and three other shafts. These shafts are screwed to the foam with a washer and a nut. Since it is foam you have to reinforce the foam. You do it by counter sinking the holes half way of the foam (0.125”) and fill it up with glass and epoxy.

The other tool path I’ve mentioned is for the fuselage which is made out of 2” and 3” foam blocks. I have to rout the contour, not a problem, and then the various recesses for my but to sit in and so on.

The counter sink I could do as suggested with an angled tool but would prefer not to change tools. The other recesses are one inch or more deep and ideally would be done with a flat tool.

I’m off my box now. What a speech for such a simple question.

Yoram