585,888 active members*
4,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Bob Cad Post Processors and Machine Centers

Bob Cad Post Processors and Machine Centers

Hi Guys,
    I have a used copy of Mastercam wouldn't you know Mastercam will not support their products bought used unless one pays past maintenance fees and to upgrade to latest version. So I decided to purchase the Bobcad V23 with all the options. I have a Kitumra Mycenter with full fourth and 5th indexing. The question is how is Bobcam with post processors and full out machining centers? I'm not a post wizard that's why I’m asking here. I would like to use the Mastercam X2 but don't have the budget of 10k or so.

Hi Eric,
    I'll be the first. Though i dont have a "full Machine center". The post processor is a simple text file. They are pretty much customizable. They just released their new scripting engine so if the base engine doesnt produce something you need, you can script it.

The package doesnt do "full 4th-5th" work (YET....it's comming) But does 4th indexing and wrapping.

You can probably find a thread here that has someones post in it. You can download that and look in it with notepad to see what it looks like. If you cant make heads or tails of it at all, the package will include a simple post editor that formats the post into a Graphical User Interface that allows you to see the layout of the land. You can also just turn on debug statements and the output code will include a line that points to the command in the post that created it. Should be pretty simple for a guy that can run a machine center.

Anyway, good luck with your parusing.

Hi Burrman,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Sure sure, I have seen the post in Mastercam don't understand it all but haven't mauled it over much either. Doesn't BobCam usually provide a post for you machine needs? I would imagine the post need to me specific to the NC for thinks like Tool diameter offsets, options within the NC, and hardware options such as 4th axis? I had post before that didn't work with Kitumra/Fanuc tool DIA off sets it was using something for Mazak so the NC would just allarm.

I was curious of the quality of Bob's post processors.

I think the default posts for a particular controller are fairly well setup, but have a few area's where things are just generic. Like at a start of program.

All the tooling info and offset values can be "laid out" with a tool list format option. They are easily re-arranged if it doesnt output the way you need it.

I would say that it would not be a concern for you. At the worst, if you had some funcky controller need, you would need the BobCad tech dept to help get it setup for you.

I recently just particpated with a guy that needed to have his post output a P value for his radius moves, and have an unsigned incremental K value added to the P lines at specific locations. We fooled around for a bit, it was beyond me, BobCad support helped to script a post that would output his special needs.

Mostly though simple changes can be done by yourself, or many in the forums can help with that.

I think if you have a simple program op, like a pocket, and a sample of what that posted code "should be", then it is fairly painless to have what you need (Unless very obscure)

If you wanted to try and see, and had a part you can upload, tell me the controller/post you would use and I will generate some code and post it here. You could then evaluate it's output, talk about any change to the code you would think needs made, and I could see if I could output what you expect

Anyway....