584,829 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > New to engraving raised stamps - Any advice?

New to engraving raised stamps - Any advice?

Hello, this is my first post and I was hoping to get some advice engraving raised stamps.

I have cut a few raised stamps already using a 3/16 dia. x 60° engraving bit to achieve a raised island of the letters/numbers/symbols desired to stamp onto the material and so far they have come out looking fairly good. However, it seems like there is material left at the bottom of the island where the stamp meets the block.

Am I having a tool height issue or maybe a tool wear issue? Both?

I have been running the machine at 10k rpm (fastest possible) @ 20ipm with approx. .002 DoC and .002 stepover.

Does anyone have any experience cutting stamps like these? I would really appreciate any advice!

Thanks!!

I have experience in rotary cutting dies which are similar in processing.

We removed all material that was not the actual cutting features first. In your case, all the material that isn,t letters/numbers/symbols. We used small (as small as 1/64") end mills to clear the features.

We employed 60 degree angle end mills with a slight flat at the apex to avoid "fuzz" at the bottom of the cut. These cuts were done before hardening so a few thou. was left on the features. After hardening the profiles of the features were finished with diamond-cut carbide burrs.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Thank you for your advice. I was getting that "fuzz" that you are talking about at the base of my letters so the next time I go to make another one of these stamps, I will definitely try putting a small flat on the tip of the tool.

Thanks again!

Thermal deburring will burn the "fuzz". Somtimes cold soaking in liquid nitrogen or maybe dry ice then wire brushing will break off light burrs. WEAR PROPER GLOVES if you try this.

Dick Z
    DZASTR