586,013 active members*
3,993 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > G-Code Programing > How do I program turning a ball on the end of a shaft?

How do I program turning a ball on the end of a shaft?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me how to write a program that would turn a 3/4" dia. ball on the end of a shaft? Are there any wizards or macros to help with the programing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    cdntoolmaker

Hi! It's easy if you're using a round insert. Just simply add the radius of the part and the radius of the tool in your R value in the program. You just have to calculate the starting point in z if you're starting the arc from the shaft side, or the end point in z if you're starting the arc from the ball end side since your shaft diameter must already be given then the X value is already known.

PS: this is if you are not using tool nose radius compensation (G41/G42).

Hi uperez,

Thank you for your responce. I don't think I stated my question properly. I'm looking for instructions on how to write the actual code. I am new to programing and I have been using Mach3 and Lazycam to generate my 2 1/2D code for milling applications. This is my first try at Lathe cnc. My sizes are on the end of a 0.3125 dia. x 1.500 long shaft there would be a 0.750 dia. ball. So once again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    cdntoolmaker

I'm confused. How do you get a 0.750 diameter ball on the end of a 0.3125 diameter shaft? Can you post a picture of what you want?

Hi dcoupar,

You ask. "How do you get a 0.750 diameter ball on the end of a 0.3125 diameter shaft?"

I could do it two ways.

1) Thread one end of a 0.3125 dia. x 1.500 shaft and screw a 0.75 dia. x 0.75 blank on the end and then turn the ball.
    2) Start with a 0.75 or 0.875 dia x 2.25 long blank. Face and turn one end to 0.3125 x 1.5 long. Then mount the 0.3125 end in the cnc lathe and turn the ball.

For turning the ball end I would be using a 0.094 wide top notch carbide insert with a full radius on the tip. The cnc lathe it would be turned on is the size of a sherline so I would not be able to hog off the rough cuts. Maybe roughing passes of 0.020 and finishing passes of 0.005. I believe the control is very similar to the Fanuc G&M codes because it needs a % sign at the beginning and end of the program.

Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by uperez View Post
    Hi! It's easy if you're using a round insert. Just simply add the radius of the part and the radius of the tool in your R value in the program. You just have to calculate the starting point in z if you're starting the arc from the shaft side, or the end point in z if you're starting the arc from the ball end side since your shaft diameter must already be given then the X value is already known.

PS: this is if you are not using tool nose radius compensation (G41/G42).
    How do you set up the tool and what will be the T and R value on your geometry offsets?

I did some programming by hand to start with for my first cnc lathe.
    It was just some basic stepped bushings, but allowed me to get into Gcode quite a bit.

What I did initially was produced some code using Sheetcam for my mill.
    I took that code, broke it down, switched the axis letters and tried it out.

I saw results immediately.
    Then I added code like peck drilling and some other routines.
    That helped me become familiar with it.

I soon became aware that to do much more than the basics, I would need a good turn cam. I chose Dolphin. I had lots of excellent help from Hood on the Mach 3 site to get the Post Processor to spit out precisely what I needed for my lathe. Set up the tool tables etc in Mach.

Now for any profile, all I need to do is draw half the profile in CAD and run it through Dolphin. Even though it is that easy, learning to code it by hand is a very useful skill. You can glance at the code and tell exactly what should be happening on the machine.

I never had much luck with the Wizards in Mach or in turn, but the code it spit out was also helpful in the learning experience.
    Lee

Ball on end

Here is a finish pass for a 3/4 ball this should give some Idea of what you need tool nose is allready figured in.
    %
    O0000
    (35 DEG. INSERT - VNMG-431)
    G0T0101
    G97S3600M3
    G0G54X0.Z.15
    G50S3600
    G96S200
    G99%
    G1Z.05F.01
    Z-.0003
    G3X.5584Z-.1344R.3906
    X.7489Z-.3702R.3906
    X.75Z-.3906R.3906
    X.4813Z-.6854R.3906
    G1X.312Z-.759
    Z-1.
    X.4534Z-.9293
    G28U0.W0.M05
    T0100
    M30
    %

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I did some programming by hand to start with for my first cnc lathe.
    It was just some basic stepped bushings, but allowed me to get into Gcode quite a bit.

What I did initially was produced some code using Sheetcam for my mill.
    I took that code, broke it down, switched the axis letters and tried it out.

I saw results immediately.
    Then I added code like peck drilling and some other routines.
    That helped me become familiar with it.

I soon became aware that to do much more than the basics, I would need a good turn cam. I chose Dolphin. I had lots of excellent help from Hood on the Mach 3 site to get the Post Processor to spit out precisely what I needed for my lathe. Set up the tool tables etc in Mach.

Now for any profile, all I need to do is draw half the profile in CAD and run it through Dolphin. Even though it is that easy, learning to code it by hand is a very useful skill. You can glance at the code and tell exactly what should be happening on the machine.

I never had much luck with the Wizards in Mach or in turn, but the code it spit out was also helpful in the learning experience.
    This is how i do it with CAD2Lathe. Zip file has Mach3Turn Gcode and DXF file. Demo at:
    Free programs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ball_on_stick.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    This is how i do it with CAD2Lathe. Zip file has Mach3Turn Gcode and DXF file. Demo at:
    Free programs
    Mach 3 Turn config.
    Gcode is for the Front tool post with Arc's reversed.

Does your machine need I and K for the circular interpolation or can you use an R value?
    www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!