584,846 active members*
4,532 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Encoder output into 2 different inputs?

Encoder output into 2 different inputs?

I have an encoder on my machine and the input goes back to my servo controller.

My question: Can the output of the encoder be run to 2 different drives at the same time? As in back to the servo controller and then into another servo drive also? I guess the best way to describe it would be to say 2 servo drives are getting thier input from the same encoder..

I am a little worried that the current draw will increase and be to much for the encoder to handle.. or that there might be some other incompatibility...

Anyone ever do this before?

Thanks,
    Murphy

The inputs would bother me the least, connect them in series if they are built to drive an optoisolator. But what will you connect the outputs of the 2 servo drives to!?

It seems to me that you will connect 2 servo loops with each other. If they don't get confused, I will!

I suggested this approach in your other thread. But you have to set it up properly.

Assuming both targets have ttl inputs, you would be fine. Otherwise, you may have to see if the drive current of the encoder can handle the draw of the two inputs. Another thing to consider is where you are getting power for the encoder from. That power supply has to have the capacity available, or you're likely to have all sorts of problems.