584,854 active members*
4,322 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas Indexer as full 4th axis

Haas Indexer as full 4th axis

Can a haas indexer be used as a full fourth? Are the units that use an indexer control able to be plugged in to a machine with a fourth axis card and be used as a full fourth axis? Thanks.

Yes all the Haas rotaries can work as a full fourth axis on Haas machines with a fourth axis fitted. I have no idea if you could adapt a Haas rotary to the fourth axis wiring on a different make of machine but I suspect it is not possible.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks Geof....I hoped you would respond. After re-reading my post, I realize that I did not specify the type of machine. For a Haas mill was my original intention, and I am glad to hear that they work as full fourth.

4th

Only on Haas fitted with the option. Other machines are either RS232, or m-code only.

The really old ones will only have one cable to plug in. so they would not work

On another thread someone was asking about adding a 4th axis to a mini mill and was told that the option has to be activated at an additional charge even though he had already bought a driver board and rotary table.
    My question is about the VF models. If buying a used VF that has the factory pre-wire and motor driver for the 4th axis is it still necessary to pay Haas to activate it? Or can you just plug in the rotary and run it with a couple of parameter changes?
    Thanks,
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rawen2 View Post
    On another thread someone was asking about adding a 4th axis to a mini mill and was told that the option has to be activated at an additional charge even though he had already bought a driver board and rotary table.
    My question is about the VF models. If buying a used VF that has the factory pre-wire and motor driver for the 4th axis is it still necessary to pay Haas to activate it? Or can you just plug in the rotary and run it with a couple of parameter changes?
    Thanks,
    Ralph

I thought you just tell it you have the fourth turned on? I remember seeing the parameter.

Tim

If it has the driver it should be activated. set the parameter to whitch indexer you plug up and go

It is Setting 30 4TH AXIS ENABLE; you select your rotary code.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

The proper way to enable the indexer is to turn on machine and hit E-stop. With all servos disabled change setting 30 to your indexer WRITE/ENTER and then shut off power. Plug up indexer power and air, then turn back on power and release E-stop, reset etc. The indexer should then function as the A axis.

If your machine has the pin plugs for the indexer (A axis) then it should be able to use the 4th axis. If a 4th axis was not installed there would be no connections on the control panel side for the indexer to plug into. Just saw a machine come in without the option and watched them install the option, the plugs were part of the installation.

when you enable the parameters dont you also have to tell the control the size of the rotary, ie 210, 310?

On the HAAS VF5 and VF6 when you go to settings and setting 30 in particular it should be off. Arrow right through a list of indexers. 210, 310, 310B etc. If you choose the wrong one an alarm will more than likely be generated when you attempt to use it. Make sure you know which one you have. Ours has 310 stamped on it but it is really 310B (brushless). 310 generates an alarm. When you find yours hit WRITE/ENTER. The indexer is enabled. When you enable it the servos should be stopped and it is a good idea to have the power off when the indexer is plugged in also.

So let me make sure I'm right on something- I have an '05 VF2SS with 4th axis prewire. I can buy any of the Haas rotary products (indexer or rotary table, brush or brushless) and expect it to work in my machine once I get the right settings entered and have the proper cables to connect. Do I have it?

TIA!

Not exactly. The really old haas indexers only have one cable to control it and the newer ones have two cables. I have a 02 vf2 and use a 5c and or a hrt210. I only have 4 axis machine so if I use both i have an extra control box and use the aux. m code output to fire the control box to move the 5th axis. it is not a true 5th axis but will index. and the cables you need come with.

So I will need an indexer with two cables and the indexers with only one cable are not comaptible with my machine, right?

correct. The one cable indexers are really old and probly can not be found anymore. we have one that we put on manual machines and when the motor burns up we put another sepper motor in it. any newer one should work. we bought 6 of the 5c ones from msc about a year ago and was able to trade in our old ones for a large discount

Another small note about the setting 30 parameter....even though you should be using the correct code (5c, HRT, etc) it doesn't always error out on you if you choose the wrong one. With our VF-E, the CNC will accept a handful of parameters and it'll appear to work just fine...except the encoder will be wrong. 90º will actually be 60º (or something). Only the correct one will actually do what you need it to do, even though the others appear to work at first.

Just something to know when you're first installing it. It's caused us a lot of trouble when people use the indexer for the first time...lol