584,849 active members*
4,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

WinNc 3.1 File Format

Hi, hoping someone can help me out.

I created a program on Mastercam X2 and used a generic Fanuc post processor to create an NC file. I put the .NC file on a floppy, and transferred it to the computer that is attached to my cnc machine.

I have an Emco Maier PC50 milling machine that is controlled by a pc. The name of the program that controls the machine is WinNc., version 3.1. The controller is Fanuc OM. I think it's a program meant to emulate the Fanuc controller, using a PC and a keyboard.

I open up the WinNC program in Windows Explorer, and drop the .NC file in the Prog. Folder from my :A drive.
    I open the NC control program (WinNC) and try to load the .NC program into the controller to run the program.

For some reason, the program is not recognizing the .NC program I loaded into the program file.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Wrong post processor? Or do I need to save the .NC file using a different file extension? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There is a config file for WinCnc WINCNC.INI, in that file is a line that reads
    "Filetype=".

This line will tell you what the file extension is that is accepted by WinCNC. You can add "*.nc" if it is not there already, .tap might be there .anc might be there, or you could change your file extension to match what is listed there.

What version of windows are you running?? Wondering if that is the 3.1 you mention since you are using a floppy. I'm not sure there is a WinCNC 3.1.

Is there an error message when you try to load program?

winnc version

Hi there, I am using WinNc version 3.5. and windows 98.

I called EMCO tech support yesterday, and the nice tech guy told me to rename the file as O1234. The Fanuc controller loaded the program. Yah!

But when I tried to graph it to see if it would work, I got an error message
    70M 0 syntax error.

I am using a generic post processor for fanuc emco machines that I downloaded at inhousesolutions.com.

I have post processor for my emco pc50 mill for mastercam ver 8 and ver 9, but these posts are incompatible with mastercam ver 10 and above.

arrghhh

Well you are getting closer, lol. Syntax error means it doesn't like something in your code, can you post it here so we can look at it and hopefully get you going?

I know this is an old thread but I am having the exact same issue with the syntax error and was wondering what solution was found?

Emco cnc file

[FONT="Arial"]
    I am running an older Emco CNC with winNc version 3.5
    the cad/cam software I'm running is Mastercam X2
    I got the post processor for Emco machines from the in house solutions website under downloads.
    After loading the post processor and machine definition files into the Mastercam program and generating a cutter path, I post it. The Mastercam NC editor shows up.

Here is what I noticed you must do if you want the file to run.

Remove all block numbers. The machine will error out and not run

Remove any script that describes the part file, cutter, time it was made, etc.In the Mastercam NC editor, these usually show up as green. Pretty much anything that is not a G or M code or a coordinate X,Y, Z must be removed.

remove the % at the start for the file.

Change any cutter height offset to G43 T1 H1, or whatever tool offset you are using.

My machine only holds one tool and has no tool changer

So the program should look like this

G20 G40 G91 etc (all the prep codes)
    G00 X Y M03 S1000 etc
    G43 T1 H1 etc
    then the rest of the program.

I will post a sample program when I get one from work, I am at home right now and can't remember the codes exactly. Just remove block numbers, all the letters in parentheses that describe the program, remove the % sign at the start of the program, and make sure the G43 code is T1 and H1 and it should run.

Once you load it onto the PC (mine had windows 98, lol), RENAME the file to O1234 that's an O as in a letter O then any 4 numbers up to 9999. The winNC software will not read the .nc file extension that is generated by Mastercam, the file must be a generic wordpad or notepadvfile. It's basically an ASCII file (american society of computing something or other) format.

There is no file extension, it just shows on the screen as O1234.

Then load it up and off you go.

I inherited this machine from another school, it hadn't been running in 10 years and no one knew how to run it. I finally got it running and it cuts great.

I've cut plastic, aluminum, mild steel and tool steel with it. I've done simple engravings to lofted and ruled 3 d surfaces. If only it were bigger! It's a great little machine. Hop this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteredline View Post
    [FONT="Arial"]
    I am running an older Emco CNC with winNc version 3.5
    the cad/cam software I'm running is Mastercam X2
    I got the post processor for Emco machines from the in house solutions website under downloads.
    After loading the post processor and machine definition files into the Mastercam program and generating a cutter path, I post it. The Mastercam NC editor shows up.

Here is what I noticed you must do if you want the file to run.

Remove all block numbers. The machine will error out and not run

Remove any script that describes the part file, cutter, time it was made, etc.In the Mastercam NC editor, these usually show up as green. Pretty much anything that is not a G or M code or a coordinate X,Y, Z must be removed.

remove the % at the start for the file.

Change any cutter height offset to G43 T1 H1, or whatever tool offset you are using.

My machine only holds one tool and has no tool changer

So the program should look like this

G20 G40 G91 etc (all the prep codes)
    G00 X Y M03 S1000 etc
    G43 T1 H1 etc
    then the rest of the program.

I will post a sample program when I get one from work, I am at home right now and can't remember the codes exactly. Just remove block numbers, all the letters in parentheses that describe the program, remove the % sign at the start of the program, and make sure the G43 code is T1 and H1 and it should run.

Once you load it onto the PC (mine had windows 98, lol), RENAME the file to O1234 that's an O as in a letter O then any 4 numbers up to 9999. The winNC software will not read the .nc file extension that is generated by Mastercam, the file must be a generic wordpad or notepadvfile. It's basically an ASCII file (american society of computing something or other) format.

There is no file extension, it just shows on the screen as O1234.

Then load it up and off you go.

I inherited this machine from another school, it hadn't been running in 10 years and no one knew how to run it. I finally got it running and it cuts great.

I've cut plastic, aluminum, mild steel and tool steel with it. I've done simple engravings to lofted and ruled 3 d surfaces. If only it were bigger! It's a great little machine. Hop this helps you.
    This helps a lot thank you! I am working with a high school to get their set of machines back up and running and I just was not able to get code running. This solved my issues thanks.

I was looking around the mastercam site and I found where you can get the post processor for the emco machine and it worked for me on V9

Mastercam : Teachers & Students