585,992 active members*
5,878 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

History of CNC

Hi!

I collect information about old NC-machines from 50's to 70's. I hope if you got any manuals in PDF, technical info or brochures please contact me or add this topic your stuff.

Here's some what I have found:

Popular Mechanics 1955:

Gorton machines:

http://gorton-machine.org:8080/machines/index.html#prods_chron

History of Superior:
    http://www.wimb.net/index.php?s=slosyn&page=12

Old advertisements from Finnish engineering magazine
    http://www.cnc-tekniikka.com/CNC-for...hp?topic=762.0

Here's my Okumas 79's ferrite memory:

I'm now specially interested Fanuc 2000C/3000C ( Yaskawa made also same controller ). Also everything else before 80's is always interesting... So, please contact...

that too changer is similar to our old matic..

http://www.electronicsam.com/images/...gerspindle.JPG

You mean that Milwaukee matic? What year your machines is?

I retrofitted a couple of those vintage, the core memory reminds me of one run with a PDP8, you could actually 'see' 1 bit of memory!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Beautiful machine! Do you have scematics for it or manuals? I really like to see those!

I retrofitted a couple of those vintage, the core memory reminds me of one run with a PDP8, you could actually 'see' 1 bit of memory!
    Al.
    I have one Bridgeport BOSS 6 computer, it's processor is PDP-11 compactile. Here's picture of it:

And I have Okuma OSP2200L ( OSP2200 have Nixie tubes, L-model haven't ), and that core memory is from it. That Okuma's computer is very interesting, its based TTL-logic chips, there is no actually CPU. Most complex chip is 74181 ALU chip. I'm looking schematics for that computer, I'm planning use it flick christmas light or something like that. Here's picture of it. Those switches are used to load boot rom in to the core memory, then operation system is loaded from paper tape to core. So machine's "firmware" can be updated. Pretty cool in -79!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonne View Post
    I have one Bridgeport BOSS 6 computer, it's processor is PDP-11 compactile.
    And I have Okuma OSP2200L ( OSP2200 have Nixie tubes, L-model haven't ), and that core memory is from it. That Okuma's computer is very interesting, its based TTL-logic chips, there is no actually CPU. Those switches are used to load boot rom in to the core memory, then operation system is loaded from paper tape to core. So machine's "firmware" can be updated. Pretty cool in -79!
    Yes I remember load switches, memory could be read or written to individually.
    IIRC, the PDP-8 used 12bit memory (12 switches).
    The machine control section was written using simple boolean logic instructions.
    If welders were used close to the machine, the memory got wiped!
    I also retro-fitted a 80's Japanese Homma planer also that used discrete logic, no processor at all.
    Al.

Albert E.

Yes I remember load switches, memory could be read or written to individually.
    IIRC, the PDP-8 used 12bit memory (12 switches).
    The machine control section was written using simple boolean logic instructions.
    If welders were used close to the machine, the memory got wiped!
    I also retro-fitted a 80's Japanese Homma planer also that used discrete logic, no processor at all.
    Al.
    Youn mean that Okuma OSP (OSC) is based PDP-8? Its at least 12-bit, there is three 74181 ( and of course switch count also indicate 12-bits ).

Isn't the one you show a PDP-11? 16 bit?
    The ones I mentioned with PDP-8's were Farrel Boring mills from the late 70's
    Al.

Albert E.

Yes, that BOSS 6 CPU is DEC's PDP-11 compactile. But that Okuma's computer is mystery who is build it, I don't think that is Okuma's own desing.

Please ask computer museums, before you junk old kit

As a member of the Danish Computer History Association (www.datamuseum.dk) I have a small request to you guys:

If you see old and/or special computers, like those in the pictures below, headed for the junk-heap, please contact a local computer-museum and ask them if they are interested.

A lot of the history of computing is being thrown out these years, simply because people do not realize that these old boxes of bits belong on museums.

Thanks in advance,

Poul-Henning

A lot of the history of computing is being thrown out these years, simply because people do not realize that these old boxes of bits belong on museums.
    I know. That's why I tried to save much I can possible ( my company makes machine modernizations ).

Unfortanaly your pages are only in danish, so I can't understand it all..

By to way, Finland have very much computer technology old days. Check "Esko", first computer in Finland ( serial, though ). Also my neighbour have factory what have Finland's firsts automated procissing systems, Pilginton's glass factory ( from 60's ).

Contact straight to my e-mail, I think we have lot of discussion: johannesthelen ( at ) hotmail.com

I can scan manuals and schematics if you want...

Jonne,

You should talk to the people at Finlands own computer museum, I belive you can find them at:

http://suomentietokonemuseo.fi/

The Danish group is mainly interested in computers related to (ie: designed/built/used in) Denmark in some way.

Poul-Henning