585,729 active members*
4,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > flood coolant for home based shop?

flood coolant for home based shop?

I am looking for a good general purpose coolant for flood cooling in a home based workshop. This is not going to be used on a daily basis so it will either have to be stored for long periods or disposed of after each use. Machining will be mostly aluminum parts which will most likely be anodized, so staining will be a concern. There will also be occasional jobs involving common steels, plastics and other non-ferrous metals. The flood cooling system will be pretty basic using a rubbermaid type container for storage, a filtration system, pump and aerator.

So I guess the synopsis of my criteria are as follows:

1. Inexpensive (good value)
    2. Non-toxic or biodegradeable (need to be able to dump this down the drain or easily dispose of it)
    3. must be stable when stored
    4. must be good on a variety of materials, primarily aluminum alloys.

What can you guys recommend?

Check with Mactec54, a member on the CNCZone about a new product he is getting ready to distribute. It sounds like a good match for what you are wanting.

For infrequent use and having to dispose of "hazardous" waste (due to infrequent use) I would suggest using a Mister system instead.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Hi RP designs

What you want I can supply you with the cutting fluid is 100% synthetic, Biodegradable,Non-toxic,Fireproof, It is called GreenCut It is not cheap but is the best cutting fluid that is out there, It will never go bad does not need aeration & smells good
    1 liter makes 5 gallons of cutting fluid you can PM me for more information
    Mactec54

EnviroServe Chemicals, Inc. has been in the metalworking fluid and coolant business for 15 years.

We have concentrated in the southeast US for the bulk of that time, but since our business has grown significantaly in the last 18 months, we now have service in the northeast and mid west.

Since we manufacturer our own products, you aren't paying for the distributor's mark up.

All of our coolants are as environmentally friendly as possible, they are stable in solutions as low as 0.5%, and they work great!

Shoot me an email if you would like and give me some specifics. I do give free trial samples to match a determination run.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Jonathan Ballard
    EnviroServe Chemcials, Inc.
    [email protected]

(patiently watching from the shadows)

I am planning to use mobilemet 404 oil for infrequent use. No issue with rust from water base/diluted fluids. Is supposed to have good pot life, no odor, low cost, no staining for aluminum & brass.

Yes it is messier, but with a parts washer nearby should be okay.

Or did I read the catalog page wrong?

bigspike
    GreenCut is what you need 100% Enviro-safe Machining the only way to go & 100% Biodegradable

All oil base cutting oils will go bad, GreenCut will never go bad no matter what the conditions you put it under it is 100% Synthetic as well & you never need to change it, I can supply this product.
    Mactec54

I use this stuff in a manual lathe. It's been in there over a year now, still looks and smells fresh even though it only gets used a few minutes per month.

http://www.tricocorp.com/products/product.aspx?c=5&p=27

I got 2 liters of the concentrate (enough to last me a lifetime, it seems) from a seller on Ebay for about $12 shipped.