584,871 active members*
5,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Question NC Transfer Program

I would like to find a simple program to transfer programs from my computer to my Mill.
    The software package I use can transfer the data, however I would like a stand alone program so that I can upload the data from another Editor.
    The simpler the better, I really don't need any fancy features, just some program that I can pass a file to and have it uploaded.

Hopefully someone can suggest some software to accomplish this.
    Thanks
    -JamesBond
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.

That looks like it might work, however a bit too fancy and expensive for what I need.
    Ideally I would like to pass the program a file name and have it transfer the program with out pressing a send button. That way I could easily transfer the file from within my editor.
    Thanks
    -JamesBond

I made a small program that does just that... nothing more. (Meaning it doesn't receive... yet. Some day I'll finish that part if I get time )

Let me know if interested. I've been thinking about releasing this as freeware.

'Rekd teh nothing witty to say here..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scomm.jpg  
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Originally posted by JamesBond
    That looks like it might work, however a bit too fancy and expensive for what I need.
    Ideally I would like to pass the program a file name and have it transfer the program with out pressing a send button. That way I could easily transfer the file from within my editor.
    Thanks
    -JamesBond
    This will work nicely... it accepts command line parameters for file names, then automatically sends it. You have the option of hiding it during send, and also exiting afterwards.

'Rekd teh w00t! 69 posts!!
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Perfect!

Thats exactly what I'm looking for.
    -JamesBond

See dreams do come true. :wee: Now does rekd know PHP, that's the question I have?:chinese:

James, we fix you. No problem.

Paul, I'm not a wizzard with php, but lemme know what you need I'll see if I can help.

:cheers:

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

James, I added the 115.2k baud. I will have to wait 'til I get home before I can upload it to my web site. (damn firewalls)

I'll let you know here when it's ready.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Scott,

I haven't had a chance to test the install program. Some of the files may be out of date on newer systems. The file transfer app works great on 98, ME, XP and NT. (I've tested it on these systems)

If you have a problem with the install there is a simple work around; there is a .cab file inside the .zip file that you can open with WinZip. Extract all the files to the folder of your choice and run SComm.exe. It will read everything it needs from the local folder instead of the system. (Not to worry about conflicts due to running these files locally; these controls will not interfere with anything else that may be running, except if you try to send data thru the same comm port from 2 different sources at the same time, i.e. SComm and Cimco or something.)

If you have ?'s or !'s let me know.

'Rekd teh If VB wasn't so damn easy, I'd have tossed it out long ago..
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Talking

I do have a question...
    Who is Scott?

I guess that is your super secret code name for JamesBond,
    I installed it and tried to run it, however it does not transfer the file. It seems like it is trying to transfer the data ssssllllllooooowwwwllllyyy, as I see the byte count slowly increasing. I have tried other baud rates with the same result.
    I have a oscilloscope that I will probe the data and control lines in a little while to see if anything on the port wiggles.

Another question I have..... is there an option to add a "%" at the beginning and end of the file?
    I'll guess these are the begin and end transmission characters, I could add them to each of my files.
    Thanks,
    -JamesBond

Isn't Scott spelled backwards James?

You will need to set the correct comm port for the computer, and set the data and stop bits, error control and baud to match the controller. Make sure you have properly wired plugs, etc.

Also, the file will need to be ready to send, as there is no editor associated with the transfer program. If you use an editer that allows you to run external programs, you can send the file name to scomm and it will send it to the controller.

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

I use an editor program called EditCNC. It has a built-in DNC link option. You just edit your code and the push the transfer button. It has many useful tools for editing your code too. I'm do not work for the company of the software nor am I trying to plug it. Just trying to help. I think the software is around 100.00 US dollars. Here is the link. www.editcnc.com I use it all the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dnc.gif  
    no problem!

James, Scott is your twin brother separated at birth. Rekd and I know him. Obviously you havent met him yet.
    Wee aim to please ... You aim to ... PLEASE.

I have been using NCLink frm OneCNC.com. It is flexible, easy to use, and best of all.....free. It has an editor, DNC and simple transfer. The company will also give you support (in the hopes that you will buy their CAM package). It is easy to set up, as long as your machine is relatively normal, ie: fanuc with standard wiring etc.

Adam

James,

I've made a few updates...

Recieve module
    Progress bar
    DNC capabilities
    Test for previously running instance
    This ghey slider to "fade" the app so you can see thru it. (dunno why..)
    Some more error checking
    Only have to click Tx 1 time if no file selected. (The app will click it for you after you select the file.)

There's a RECIEVE module now. (Completely different looking interface than the main module. Looks like a text editor almost) (Yes, I'll be adding an option to test for "%" before you send. )

When it opens, you'll be sternly warned that there is a seperate set of parameters to configure for the Recieve module.

Once they're set, you click on either the yellow icon on the left, or File/Open File, to select or create a file to save to. Then click the red light on the right to start recieving. The port will stay open indefinately, so you won't need to RUN to the machine to send it. After it's recieved, close the port, close the file and you're done.

'Rekd
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

This ghey slider to "fade" the app so you can see thru it. (dunno why..)
    Just tested this on a non-XP/2K machine and the slider doesn't work. Doesn't crash (On Error GoTo Hell), just slides, (very smoothly, I might add), across and does nothing.. :shrug:

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

I just tried out the fader function on an XP machine and it is really cool.
    I'll test out the other features later tonight.
    Good Job.
    -JB

Oh, BTW...

Another question I have..... is there an option to add a "%" at the beginning and end of the file?
    I'll guess these are the begin and end transmission characters, I could add them to each of my files.
    What do you think would be better, to have the file modified with the "%" at top and bottom, or to just send the character before sending any data without modifying the file, then send it again when the file's done??

Are you using the command line from your editor to launch it?

Code:
    SComm.exe E:\Your Path Name\Your File Name.ext
    'Rekd teh
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

I think if you had a check box that if checked, it would look for a % and if necessary, insert it into the stream at the beginning and end.
    It would not be necessary to change the orginal file.

I have not yet used it from within my editor.

After installing the program update to my other machine, I now get an error:

Runtime error '340'
    Control Array element '12' doesn't exist.

Maybe I didn't load the new update correctly. what should I do?
    -JB

Page 1 of 4 123