585,752 active members*
3,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > New to forum Fadal questions

New to forum Fadal questions

Hello.
    I am new to this forum and new to cnc programing. I have access to a Fadal vmc15, and I want to enter a short program from the keyboard. I have entered individual program lines and ran them with the MD command. However I would like to enter programs and save them from the keyboard. Is this possible? I have the Fadal manuals website, and have read many of them, but haven't found a manual that shows how to enter and save a small program. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

At enter next command, type IN enter.
    then type O1 enter for the program number.
    Then type the program.
    It's really that easy.

JB

Or at the command prompt type PR, then hit enter, then select "new program" it is pretty simple to follow along

Or...........you can easily enter the program from the keyboard, but wouldn't it be so much nicer to sit at your computer and do it? No more sore feet, a place for your beer, and a clear view of your favorite calender....Use Notepad.

Type the whole program in Notepad (Notepad doesn't put funky hidden characters in the saved .txt file), rename it without the .txt extension, and load it into the machine via whatever input the machine has.

Even with Mastercam, I often use a library of basic canned cycles or operations like drilling and tapping that I've created and saved in a Notepad *.txt file, copying and pasting into a new file for a simple part. Stick the operations together, edit the variables and add X,Ys as needed, and Voila! A Program!

You need to know what format the machine is running under. Most shops run Fadal's Format 1, which is plain ole G-code with some handy canned cycles.

I strongly recommend that, instead of notepad, you download and install the free version of NCPlot and use it. This way you get graphics and re-number ability and a few other very useful tools.
    I use it for all my G-Code editing. I prefer it to the editor that came with my CAM software.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Thank you

Thanks for all the quick replies. I will get a chance to try your advice this weekend and let you know my results.
    Thanks again,
    Mike Lyons

Try the Lern Command!

Darebee,
    What version of ncplot are you using? It looks interesting.

Pman,
    The manuals do have some programs in them, maybe you need the right manual?

Steve

I am using the free version (I believe it is 1.2).
    I probably should buy the full version though.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca