585,605 active members*
3,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Hurco retrofit!

I guess I am ready to retrofit my Hurco KM3. I want to use the same servos/ incoders. Would like to use Gecko drives. Would like to use CNC4 PC breakout board. I have E C servos. They run at 80 volts. Would like your advice. The reason to go with this setup, is I have people that have used Gecko & CNC4PC near here. I wont start till the snow flies. Thanks for your input.
    Dave

I'm about 2/3 of the way into the exact same project using the exact same recipe (KM3P, Gecko 320X, CNC4PC, stock servos+encoders, bailing wire, duct tape, bubble gum, etc.)... kind of a headache, but fun... hope to have it running by next week...

Question Why waste good hardware?

I would use the OEM Servo amps and powersupply.

Control it via a Mesa 7i43 card with a 7i33 PWM to +/- 10V analog card.

$200 gets you back in business using EMC2 - More $$$ and more time if you go the Mach3 route as they have not finished there 7i43 driver yet last I heard.

Emc2 and Mesa cards are the way I when on my SM1 used the orginal motors and drives.

Hurco KM3-P retrofit

Dave, after a lot of problems and several late nights, I am finally up and running. Just doing the finishing touches- spindle speed control, limits, etc., but Mach3 is driving the mill. I have only run it manually by jogging from the screen and I'm having a blast! I will be cnc'ing in no time!
    How is your project progressing? Have you torn into the machine yet? I ran into a lot of little issues that slowed me down, but knowing now how to handle them, I could do it much faster if I did it again. Your parts list (from your first post) will work well if you can get everything sorted right. I can give you details of my build if you would like....

Smile

I haven't done anything yet. Just got it in a temp. controlled room. Going to have both knees replaced Monday. Looks like it will be a late winter project.
    I would like details, pixs. ect. The hard part is to keep some wiring, and get rid of the rest. My e-mail address is [email protected] Live in Logansport Ind. Been an Hamradio operator since 1960.
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by mikeysformula View Post
    Dave, after a lot of problems and several late nights, I am finally up and running. Just doing the finishing touches- spindle speed control, limits, etc., but Mach3 is driving the mill. I have only run it manually by jogging from the screen and I'm having a blast! I will be cnc'ing in no time!
    How is your project progressing? Have you torn into the machine yet? I ran into a lot of little issues that slowed me down, but knowing now how to handle them, I could do it much faster if I did it again. Your parts list (from your first post) will work well if you can get everything sorted right. I can give you details of my build if you would like....