585,975 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Silly Question - TPI and Column Flex

Silly Question - TPI and Column Flex

So I got my X2 converted over to the CNC Fusion kit this weekend without too much trouble - though having a broken finger did really slow things down. I just need to finish putting the column back on and tramming it all up. Sadly, I have to wait for my test indicator before I can really get it ready. With that said, I have two questions...

While configuring EMC2, it wants to know the lead screw pitch. Anyone know what this is for the CNC Fusion kit with upgraded ball nuts?

Next, has anyone tried to fill the very bottom of the coumn with Epoxy or something like it to prevent flex? This seems a simple and clean solution. The details are available in this file in the Yahoo HF mill group:
    http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0BYKS7I...vision%201.pdf

Thanks!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by webgeek View Post
    So I got my X2 converted over to the CNC Fusion kit this weekend without too much trouble - though having a broken finger did really slow things down. I just need to finish putting the column back on and tramming it all up. Sadly, I have to wait for my test indicator before I can really get it ready. With that said, I have two questions...

While configuring EMC2, it wants to know the lead screw pitch. Anyone know what this is for the CNC Fusion kit with upgraded ball nuts?

Next, has anyone tried to fill the very bottom of the coumn with Epoxy or something like it to prevent flex? This seems a simple and clean solution. The details are available in this file in the Yahoo HF mill group:
    http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0BYKS7I...vision%201.pdf

Thanks!

Mike
    Most small ballscrews are either 5TPI or 5mm. Measure and see which you have - most likely 5 TPI.

The column itself flexes very little. Most of the flex comes from the way it's mounted to the base. In particular, the giant spring washer that bolts the column to the base. Replace that with a piece of thick steel that makes contact with the column only along the sides of the column, and the flex is reduced considerably. Filling the column with anything, by itself, will accomplish almost nothing.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Gotcha, thanks much!