585,712 active members*
3,857 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TL2 manual use of DRO?

I am trying to figure out how to set a x or z axis dimension into the DRO when using the TL2 manually which is sometimes convenient. For the x axis I can highlight the axis in operator mode and hit origin and then traverse the amount that I want to set and hit origin again, but this is not very quick or satisfying. Does anybody know of an easier way?
    Jon

Jon,

In addition to hitting origin button, you can also pre-set the axis and then hit the origin button.

For example, with the tool 1.000 from the face of the part, you can type 1.00 in the input line (lower left corner) then press origin. This will pre-set the DRO to Z 1.0000

HTH

Mike

I have just started using a TL-2, we have been a manual lathe shop and needed to replace our 1954 monarch and 1960ish LeBlond. I have just figured out how to set zero last week using origin. I have used a fanuc lathe and found the intuitive programing part of the HAAS to be a good start, I have made a few parts already and this I do like but when going into the manual side of the TL-2 I run into pushing a lot of buttons just to get very little out of doing so... And in saying that, what you have posted is about were i am also Jonsmach(Jon)...zrpilot(Mike) that was very good info,thank you... So Jon if I come across or figure out any thing I will be posting it to help.... My name is Rupert and I am working for the McDonald Observatory at the University of Texas in Austin...

TL2 setting DRO

Hi All, Rupert and Mike,
    I just went out to my lathe and tried entering the value into the x axis using origin while in operator mode. I get an error saying invalid axis. This lathe has software we updated in August 2005 version L0607. Maybe I should update it again? I run a small one man machine shop in Fairbanks, Alaska mostly doing work for various Universities making scientific equipment. I have the gamut of manual equipment as well as a TM2 and a TL2 which have served me really well for the one off work that I tend to do. I never got conversant with the intuitive programming and tend to do most of my programming in g code at the console or with Bobcad version 20 which has its own problems. I just bought the lathe from a partner recently so am somewhat new to its use. I know that it is possible to set the axis as we figured out earlier, but now I cannot remember how he did it. Seems like it had one more odd step than what you describe.
    Cheers,
    Jon

the step that i missed was you need to be in the operator page, my TL-2 is the new version and should be somewhat alike....Go to handjog mode, Then use posit button under the display, now the origin should work...Rupert

TL2 manual DRO

Nope it looks like I have an older software version. I still doesn't work that way. We updated the software on our own last time since the Haas man doesn't stop by here on his route. I took quite a bit of time and seemed like something a person could screw up, but it worked. Not sure I am ready to update again.
    Cheers,
    Jon

Hi guyz,

You will like my comment ;

In manual mode, operator dro mode, enter the value of the axis like this;

in example, I wanna set my X to 1.000 : enter X1. then press origin.

Simple as that!

Wanna set the Z axis to 6.625 : enter Z6.625 then origin.

Cheers!

manual DRO on TL2

Now we are making progress. Thanks wiseco. The only glitch is when I hit x1.0 I get 2.0 on the DRO. Everything I enter on the x axis is doubled. The Z axis works as I would like. Maybe a setting?
    Thanks ,
    Jon

Now that is weird... I've take a quick look to settings and I see nothing that can doubled X data.

DRO usage

Well I finally got this one figured out. The Haas tech came to town, which doesn't happen all that often here in Alaska, and updated the software on my TL2. Turns out that the problem was a software glitch in this particular version (6.03) and we found the problem repair notes in the next version. Now it works just like you said it ought to. Thanks for the help.
    Jon