584,842 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > CNC for what reason?
    WallCrawler Guest

CNC for what reason?

How did you get into CNC for what reason?

For work ?
    For a hobby?
    for the heck of it?

How long have you been into CNC?

What was the project that you are most proud of and why?

I have been around CAD and machining all my working life. I can still remember at my first job when we got our first CNC machines. I was so taken with them, but being the designer and not a manufacturing engineer I could not play with them. Just a few years ago I decieded to get a drill/mill from enco. Even then I did not know that CNC was in the reach of the home user. Thinking back I still can't remember why I started to search the net for CNC stuff.

I have to give credit to that other group for getting me going. The rest of my learining process is documented on my web site.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

CNC is for my hobby (mainly electronics).
    Initially wanted to automate PCB drilling, then interested in PCB milling, later into routing proper holes/mounting for my electronic project enclosures. Now starting to do wood routing and other CNC router stuff.
    Project most proud of:- Building the CNC router itself. It was a joy to make everything work (electronic, mechanical, software, etc). The knowledge gain was substantial!
    Stupid questions make me smarter...
    See how smart I've become at www.9w2bsr.com ;-P

By accident, I had this thirst for knowledge.....my employer first used me only as a operator, then later on i started my own bussiness and did everything myself. I'm still in love with Wire erosion, it's been ten years now.

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

I started for a hobby and because I love to learn new stuff. Hope it can lead to something more.

I especially enjoy electronics and machinery.

I started programming plotters 20+ years ago, and learned about programming mills/lathes 15 yrs ago.
    I do a lot of programs for our customers at work, but I always wanted to play around with 3d programming my own designs.

Learning to make this cnc machine work has been a thrill. Now I enjoy fine tuning it and developing 3D programs of whatever I want.

Bill

I'm a die hard "Do-It-Yourself" guy. I love electronics and Mechanicals and just generally making things that work and are useful. I buld all tube guitar amps as my main hobby and have to fabricate or have custom parts fabricated for me. I've already found a few jobs for CNC to make my life easier and more precise than ever before.

I'm starting to really get into building "Machines" so I think that my appitite is just starting to get going in this hobby as well. I mostly expected to build a useful tool but ended up with another hobby. My next machine will most likely be very rugged and speedy. So that I can focus on making things with it rather than messing with the machine itself.
    Nathan

I like to see and touch shiny metal objects.

I guess thats the "packrat principle" coming out in me

I like to set up and watch an automated or even semi-automated process running.

Machining in general encompasses such a variety of things to do and to master, that it is hard to get bored, and that is why I like it: the thirst for knowledge combined with a hands on approach to life.

Plus, it is a little bit of an adrenaline rush to watch powerful, fast moving machinery doing its job. Ya gotta have the balls for it, though.

Hmmph, wire erosion, no excitement there
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)