585,763 active members*
4,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Cut the MDF to create an CNC machine.

Cut the MDF to create an CNC machine.

hey guys, i want to know how can i cut the MDF to get perfect pieces to build my CNC machine.

i dont have any sofisticated tools, just saw, router, this http://www.coloredhome.com/sierracalar/sierracalar.htm i paste the link because dont know how its named in english

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samsagaz
    hey guys, i want to know how can i cut the MDF to get perfect pieces to build my CNC machine.

i dont have any sofisticated tools, just saw, router, this http://www.coloredhome.com/sierracalar/sierracalar.htm i paste the link because dont know how its named in english

thanks
    You can cut the MDF just like regular wood..you can clamp a straight edge to it and run your saw down the edge to help keep your cuts straight if you want. The link you posted is what we call a "jig-saw". Hope this helps...

Cutting MDF

While you didn't say what kind of saw that it was, I am assuming something handheld like a circular saw. If so, either the use of the saw or the router along with some sort of straight edge to guide your cut will give you a good cut. I personnaly like to use a circular saw to rough it in than use the router / straight edge to clean it up and do a finish cut so to speak. If using only the router and not rough cutting the stuff first, use multiple cuts (3-4) and make each cut deeper until you ar through the material. Use a good square to ensure your crosscuts and rips are truly at 90 degrees.

If you have not already purchased the material, several of the big box stores (Lowes, Home Depot etc) will cut pieces for you when you buy it. I am not sure how accurate they will be, but even if they do the roughing for you, it may help. If I remember right, cost is minimal.

Another option is to find a local cabinet shop and have them cut it for you on their equipment.

As for the jig saw (the item you provided a link to), I have not had very good luck making perfect cuts with these. The blades tend to flex and wander to much. Again it could be used to rough something in, but probably not for a finish cut.

Take your time, use sharp tooling (carbide), and as always....measure twice and cut once.
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

well thanks guys, i tryed a lot of times to cut wood using the jig-saw and i sux, i cant made an nice cut!.

btw, i think that its just practice, and do that slowly

thanks for the tips.

I have manually fabricated MDF for years with the straight edge trick, and it works well. The trick is to fabricate 1 piece as a pattern, and copy it with a router equipped with a flush trim bit.
    I also use the router with the straight edge for nice straight lines on the patterns, which is much cleaner than the saw.
    Hopefully I will soon just draw the shape, and let the cnc worry about the rest.

In my opinion jig saw is not the best tool for the job. However, I must admit that since I bought new blades for mine, I have been able to obtain straight and decent cuts. The blades are Bosch Progressor, made from Swiss steel. Got them at the local chain hardware store. Worth the extra couple bucks per pack.