585,981 active members*
4,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > small, Quiet CNC for use in apartment

Question small, Quiet CNC for use in apartment

I have built my first cnc about 2 years ago. Although it was ugly it worked quite good.

Now I moved to US and considering to buy a small cnc this time. I loved building it although it was hard for me to do since I was lacking the tools even to work with mdf but now I don't have any time or place or tools to make one myself(If I had those I would definitely build my own since after all those experience it would be a fun and rewarding experience).

My previous machine was using a dremel 395 and it was noisy. It was a high pitched noise and even without cutting it was disturbing. I don't want to disturb any neighbors although I believe my new vacuum cleaner is just as noisy and most probably I am exaggerating.

About the machine:

-I'll use it for hobby mainly on foam, thin plywood and sometimes mdf. I want to be able to cut soft metals but it will happen very rarely.

-The machine should be working no more then several hours a week.

-Since I'll be using it at home the cutting area of 10-14" x 20-24" would be quite good although I may go a little smaller.

-Quietness is important. I'm not expecting a whisper quite machine but the noise level should not disturb any neighbors. Btw I've heard high volume music in the corridor but can't hear anything while i'm inside so I guess it will be easier stay in non-disturbing noise range.

-I'm thinking of a small Makita router and and enclosure for preventing the noise and dust problems.

-The machine must be easily assembled requiring no special tools, not cutting etc.

-I may go up to around 2K budget(machine itself not the electronics).

Two of the machines I'm thinking of are :

K2CNC 25x15 router : The machine seems like a solid aluminum machine with few parts but I don't know how easy to assemble it.

Fireball V90: A hobby grade cnc

http://www.probotix.com/FireBall_v90_cnc_router_kit/

price is quite cheap, it seems it assembles easily. However it is mainly mdf and I'm not sure if it will last long.

Since I'm buying the machine I wander if it is more reliable and quiet if I go for a aluminum machine.

I also wonder if there is an easy solution for enclosure for cnc. It is really hard to build.

Greetings! Our situations are similar. I've built a small CNC (www.solsylva.com) 13 x 13 fixed gantry for use in my condo basement. I couldn't risk getting my neighbors angry and our condo is not built so well so noise goes right through the walls.

Here is what I did: I just built an enclosure out of MDF. It is easier than you think. I just used 2x2's in the corners of mdf sides. I put the top and bottom on the same way. Then I caulked everything to get a good seal. One sides of it is hinged so I can open it up. It really, really cuts down on the noise even with a Dremel as the spindle. It was 90 dba before. It is 60 now. Before, I could clearly hear the router cutting from upstairs. Now, nope! Can't hear a thing. Forced me to build a relay box to shut the router off.

I just got a K2 KT25x14. In the crate, it weighs 160lbs. Not so portable and probably the limit of what I can have in my condo basement. It is a fine machine, but mine groans loudly when I move the y axis. I am sure I'll get that sorted out. Compared to my homebuilt CNC, the K2 is a whole new level as you would expect it to be...

I would definitely have a Proxon IB/E for a spindle, it is quiet for a rotary tool and has an aluminum casting for the bearings, triple slit six high concentricity collets, 20.000 rpm max, its a professional tool.
    Its a bit expensive but well worth, I have one.
    If you machine wood the noise will be there anyway, pcb milling is quieter.
    Step motors resonating in the machine frame are quite source of noise you know.

Konstantin is absolutely correct, a Proxxon is a great way to go. It beats a Dremel hands down. If you need a high frequency spindle, you can't beat a Proxxon. In my case, I cut a lot of wood so I ended up going with a small trim router. My little homemade table can't rapid very fast (say around 24 ipm) so to keep from burning wood I have to dial the speed of the router down to about 12,000 rpm. A trim router has more torque.

The enclosure will work wonders, but it also helps to put rubber feet on the bottom of the router. You want to keep the vibration from being transmitted as much as you can.

After looking at some sites for sound dampening (mainly for architectural sound dampening), the best I can figure out is you need a sound proof/dampening enclosure, and significant mass, all on sound dampening 'feet' like a thick rubber mat or something. The idea is you DO NOT bolt is soundly to the building structure, i needs to 'float'.

Low frequency sound is dampened best by a 'floating mass', and higher frequency some sound absorbing material, like carpet padding.

I have been considering making an enclosure myself, that is why I was researching it.