584,829 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

MG System 80 Help!!

Just bought a Mg plasma cutter and need some help getting it going. If anyone has an electronic copy of a manual on this machine would be a good start. Also do I need separate software and computer to control the mg system. What do I need to control it. I am very new to CNC and would be greatly appriciate to any help you guys could give. Thanks in advance.

Call MG service at (262)532-4631
    They should be able to steer you in the right direction.

A system 80 has a cnc control that was produced by Burny.....and private labeled for MG. Where are you located....I can probably recomend a tech within close proximity that could help you sort the machine out.

Jim

I am located just south of indianapolis a tech would probably be best since i am very new. thanks for your help.

The MG System 80 was produced by CMC/Burny for MG, as Jim said.
    It is a 2 Axis non pc based CNC Controller. Simple to use and reliable.
    Burny just annonced the end life for it a few months ago.
    Parts should be easy to get as most of us who retrofit machines have so many B3's that I was thinking of welding them all together and trying to sell it to Obama as a work of art. It would look nice in front of a Posrt Office somewhere!!

How much do you need to know about the Burny?
    You could go to burny.com and get a log in and download a manual. I think they have it in .pdf form.
    http://www.burny.com/non_pc-based_cnc_controls.asp

Try calling Burny Technical Support 800.321.8072 and ask for Burny Service.
    They could get you a manual.

What other types of problems are you having with the machine?
    MG put System 80's on all types of machines with difffrent drive systems and torches.
    Alan Bradford
    www.plasmatechnologies.com

I just bought it and it was a repo and is kindof a mess I need some help getting it going I just don't know where to start
    I will get on burnys website and see if I can get a manual.

What model is the machine?
    What are you having problems with?
    If it is a rewnistallation, I suspect it may be more than just the System80/Burny3.
    Alan Bradford

So I talke to MG and they qouted me a price of $6718.00. I con't believe that anyone would pay that much that didn't even include parts if they needed it. Thats crazy!!!!! So I am still working on getting a book, and I have a friend that knows some about cnc stuff to look at it this weekend. All I need is for it to be Hooked up and show me how to make it move and I can figure out the rest. We'll see what happens.

I have done a few service calls for MG and it is difficult to quote a startup price on a used machine. I quote them as teim and materials. No estimate. They have more overhead than we do also so their labor/travel quote will be a bit steeper.

So Whats it doing or not doing... We can help but we cant read minds.
    What is the model of the machine? Apollo-HSG-4500? MG used B3's on lots of machines.

With a little more info we can get you headed in the right direction.
    Alan Bradford

4 linked,

If there is anyone that can help you....it is Allan Bradford. If he can help your remotely or can help you on site get your machine going...however...he has to earn a living as well.....

Jim Colt

They told me at MG that it is a SM1000 machine. The problem is that I am not sure how to hook up the maching to even see what it is doing or not doing. They sent me a installation manual but it looks like it is just setting up the table and rails. I will try to post some pics of the table it looks to me like there was a computer on it at one time but now is gone. But since this is a non computer based system then how does it get commands on what to cut? I also do not have the serial number because they guy that had it removed it for fun I guess who knows people suck. Where are you from Allan? I have some friends coming this weekend that are maintenance for a large manufacturer and work on cnc equipment so hopefully after that I might have some more insight for you. Thanks again for you help.

here is how I picked it up Fun HUH I did get a bunch of free press brake tooling if anyonw needs any!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 103_0040.JPG   Copy of 103_0017.JPG   Copy of 103_0018.JPG  

If you could spend some time getting the machine cleaned up, in position, and ensure all of the mechanical parts move freeley, etc.....then the amount of time that a tech spends on site helping you would be diminished. A machine like this new is in the $50k range....you cannot buy a new machine that will do production as this one will....for much less than that! MG is the largest producer of CNC plasma cutting machines in the world....and while this is not their top of the line machine, and it has a few years on it...it is still a very good piece of industrial equipment. Spend some time and a few bucks on it and you have a machines that has some good value.

The controller on the machine is not a computer...it looks like a rebadged (MG puts their private label on it) Burny 3, which is a proprietary microprocessor based cnc control that was developed before PC's were used for machine control. It is designed specifically for shape cutting with oxy-fuel and plasma, and accepts inputs of files that have been post processed with CAM nesting software.....in other words you input your .dxf drawings into a nesting software (there are a variety of these available) which adds lead ins, lead outs, compensates for kerf width...and nests the parts you need on a particular size plate...then the software generates the machine code which is inputed into the cnc.....probably via a floppy disc on this vintage machine.

It is your option in regards to what you want to do with this machine....try not to blast the posters on this site too much....we are here to help you out and steer you in the direction that works for you.

What do you have for a plasma system? Is there a torch height control?

Jim

I will try to get some pics of the torch there is a bimba air cylinder that controls the hieght but I am not sure if there is a controller. Would that be part of the main control unit or a separate unit? I have also been asked when talking about this machine if it has Stepper or I think DC servo motors. I don't know how to tell the difference. What does the B3 typically use? As far as input the code to the machine I did not see a floppy disk but there is a Small black box that is removable. Could this be how you input the code? Is there anyway to still write and rewrite this box? I am going to try to use a Hypertherm Max 100 that I recieved from a friend for building him a roll cage ti is three phase but I have been using it successfully since I bought a 30 Horse phase converter. Do you think that the max 100 will work? Thanks for all your help I do apprieciate it and I can't wait to get this going!!!!

That unit has servo motors, either DC or AC...most likely DC servos. The black box is probably a modem....that links to an office computer for uploading part files. If the air cylinder controls height then your system uses a plate rider with rollerballs to control cut height. With this type of height control you are pretty much limited to cutting 3/16" plate and thinner. There is no initial height sensor with this type of height control....initial height is needed to set the pierce height for materials thicker than 3/16"....without it, you will get extremely short torch consumable life and poor cut quality. This machine...if it has the plate rider, was likely used for HVAC for cutting thin gauge ductwork. The Max100 will work fine on this machine....although it is rather old technology by todays plasma cutting standards.

Jim

Ok on the hieght control that is what the big donut is around the torch. I will probably need to cut thicker that 3/16". What can I use for a hieght control. Does someone make a stand alone control?

What is a nesting program to use with this machine? also I was reading another post and it was talking about a port on the b 2.5 and 3.0 that will comunicate with the b 3. My machine must have had something because there is everything to hook up a pc all zipped tied neatly but no pc. What software will that require and is that a possible way to provide the code for my cutting operations or will I still have to use a manual floppy?

The industrial /commercial software is from MTC , and from SigmaNest.....these are rather expensive as they do a lot more for many industrial users...and have the best support. There are others....Burny would probably be the best source for suggestions on that. Alan Bradford can better answer questions about the Burny (System 80) as far as interface capability. If there was a PC connected...it would be performing the function of the office computer that I mentioned in my earlier post.....doing the post processing of .dxf format drawings....and converting to machine code that the Burny (system80) would use to move. The lowest cost standalone THC that I am aware of is the Hypertherm Sensor PHC....it hardwaire interfaces between the Burny(system80) and the plasma power supply (almost any)...it sells for around $5k. You can use the plate rider you have.....just know its limitations on thicker materials.....if you do not have accurate pierce height...then consumable life and cut quality will be drastically affected. A good height control...over time, is a bargain...and pays for itself by improving cut cycle times, improving cut quality, lowering consumable cost.

Somehow the machine code files have to get from a PC to the Burny (System 80).....floppy disc, ethernet based link, or some other means. You will have to find out what the Burny (system80) will interface to in order to get this to work. You said there was a balck box.....MG used to sell thes machines with a "short haul" modem...that linked to an office computer by cable....I'm guessing thats what you have.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by 4linked View Post
    What is a nesting program to use with this machine? also I was reading another post and it was talking about a port on the b 2.5 and 3.0 that will comunicate with the b 3. My machine must have had something because there is everything to hook up a pc all zipped tied neatly but no pc. What software will that require and is that a possible way to provide the code for my cutting operations or will I still have to use a manual floppy?

MG System 80

4linked,

I am in the Chicago Metro area and have worked on cutting machines a fair amount. You can email me at jccinc-at-owc-dot-net. Maybe we can then talk and I can get more details.

Regards,
    Jack C.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12