586,005 active members*
5,260 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Gravograph IS8000 or Vision 2550

Gravograph IS8000 or Vision 2550

Looking to buy a 24x48 table suitable for both engraving and routing. Have narrowed it down to these two. Anyone have any experience with either of these? Pros/Cons? Thanks in advance.

hmmm I dont know much about Gravograph other then they are a French
    company .. And Vision is an American company based in Arizona.

What I know about the Vision CNC system is that it's a true router and
    engraver with multiple heads and 7” Gantry clearance, a 3HP spindle motor
    capable to do .250 aluminum in a single pass and can cut out materials up to 3” thick.

It looks and is a heavy duty industrial CNC Machine.

but I would imagine they are both good machines (not garage built DIY)..

So I would look at customer support.
    Vision has a great support team and if you need parts.. getting and
    shipping parts should be no porblem being that they are based in the US
    with distributors World Wide.

Wonder if you need to ship gravograph parts from France?

What is your application? What type of material are you going to be engraving or routing?

Gravo vs. Vision

Which did you go with and why? I have the same question now.
    Paul Jester, VP
    Miramar Sign Works, San Diego, CA

I went with the Gravo IS8000. Had a serious issue with the Vision rep who made a patently false statement about something material. Ramping up on the 8000 has been quite a challenge. The machine is great. The software is ... not great. The users manual is horrible. Getting there ... slowly.
    Paul Jester, VP
    Miramar Sign Works, San Diego, CA

What version of Gravostlye are you uisng, Discovery, Industry or Graphic? I have Graphic on my IS8000 and find its actually very good. Now, on the machine I have at home I have Discovery and its real bad.

I've been playing with the demo version of VCarve Pro 6 and it will run my Vanguard 7200 no problem.

I've also been able to run my machine using Autocad and Engraver Lab 8.

As long as you send the job to the right port you shouldnt have any problems engraving using the above mentioned software.

The one issue i'm having is controlling functions like depth, dwell and speed with the software. All those inputs still have to be done using the IS controller.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Control Engrave View Post
    The one issue i'm having is controlling functions like depth, dwell and speed with the software. All those inputs still have to be done using the IS controller.
    I have an IS6000 and I have no issues with setting the depth, dwell and speed in the software, using the Machining Center Icon in the toolbar. Works great on all basic engraving functions... however,

... the one area I do have issues with, is getting the IS Controller to actually run the correct depth of cut when drilling Braille Holes... Tech support thinks it might be a bad controller (just rebuilt three months back) so they are swapping it out.

I agree with the opinions on the user manual... not the best in the world and no 20th or 21st Century CD/DVD's available for walking you through learning the engraver... just a lot of trial and error...

... and how can they make a $15K - $25K engraver that doesn't have a depth sensing nose cone??!!

Wow! Sorry to hear that. From my experience the Vision Engraving & Routing people are very knowledgeable about machines and materials.