585,728 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What are Z grooves?

While waiting on my deluxe cnc fusion kit (haven't heard from Michael in about a week...) I want to polish my X3 ways/gibs.

I came across a couple of posts mentioning cutting Z grooves into the gibs. I did an exhaustive google search and came up with nothing. And then couldn't find the thread I had originally stumbled upon.

Can anyone shed some light?

The Z groove is just a description of the shape of a lubrication channel in the gib. The web of the Z is angled diagonally across the face of the gib so that lubrication will spread across the entire face of the sliding surface. The shorter parts of the Z-shaped groove are really only necessary to connect with the holes where the lubrication enters. They may also add extra lubrication at each end of the gib where lubrication is lost and minute grit is most liable to enter.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. I was hoping to find a picture on whether it was one large groove or many grooves, etc. Guess I'll do this if I ever come up with a one shot oiler system.

Quote Originally Posted by rezcar View Post
    While waiting on my deluxe cnc fusion kit (haven't heard from Michael in about a week...) I want to polish my X3 ways/gibs.

I came across a couple of posts mentioning cutting Z grooves into the gibs. I did an exhaustive google search and came up with nothing. And then couldn't find the thread I had originally stumbled upon.

Can anyone shed some light?
    don't worry about cncfusion you will not be unsatisfied with customer service...

Lot of $ out of pocket for the kits and there is a LOT of machining time that goes into each kit so it takes a couple weeks for them to get the kits out.

THANK YOU for that!
    I actually found the thread I lost before, the poster misspelled "grooves" twice, no wonder the search couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teyber12 View Post
    don't worry about cncfusion you will not be unsatisfied with customer service...

Lot of $ out of pocket for the kits and there is a LOT of machining time that goes into each kit so it takes a couple weeks for them to get the kits out.
    Got my UPS notification, it arrives Friday! Yay! I haven't even polished the ways/gibs yet, was so busy moving the mill electronics to the same case where my PSU/G540 are mounted. Then I got into making a relay box, etc, etc.

Z Groove Pic's

Enclosed are several Z Groove Pic's found on the various Threads
    authored by SJH (Steve).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gilmanslide001.jpg   gilmanslide002a.jpg   hbmprogress004.jpg  

Sweet.Guess I'd need another mill to cut the grooves though.