584,842 active members*
4,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Repower a Komatsu

Here's a question for our CNCzone members.... how difficult would it be to re-power a Komatsu table with another more common plasma power source?

Thanks

Tom

I want to say that most plasma tables do not have a terribly tight relationship between the plasma unit and the table (and drive motors, etc). I've seen several tables that can use multiple plasma units...mine for instance. I've got database settings for several manufacturers of plasma units...albeit I only use the one.

Assuming your controller settings can be changed. Different units will use different cut speeds, pierce heights, cutting heights, kerfs, etc. As long as you can make changes on your controller to these settings (set to the manufacturer's recommendation for material thickness, consumables, cutting power, blah blah blah), you *should* be good to go.

It is best to replace the plasma and the cnc control on a Komatsu.....they coupled the cnc and plasma pretty tightly on their machines....and normal interface protocol does not work on these machines. Put a Hypertherm EdgePro CNC and an HPR260XD (or HPR130XD or HPR400XD) on and you have a great machine with new high definition class capability...along with consumable life about 10x of the Komatsu.

Jim

Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I was bidding on this machine... on-line and had the machine and a salesman walks in at the close of the sale. I missed it and after reading your comments Jim I feel much better that I wasn't the winning bidder on this machine.

Thanks again,

Tom