585,978 active members*
4,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SheetCam > Leaving tabs for model parts

Leaving tabs for model parts

I'd like to cut out parts in balsa sheet for RC aircraft. Ideally, I'd like to be able to leave little cut out tabs around the part so the parts stay still during cutting and aren't loose until I'm ready for them. There's probably a way to do this in the CAD drawing itself, but adding this option like BobCAD/CAM has would be really cool. Unless this is already present and I missed it?

~Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak2k
    I'd like to cut out parts in balsa sheet for RC aircraft. Ideally, I'd like to be able to leave little cut out tabs around the part so the parts stay still during cutting and aren't loose until I'm ready for them. There's probably a way to do this in the CAD drawing itself, but adding this option like BobCAD/CAM has would be really cool. Unless this is already present and I missed it?

~Dan
    I believe Les (the creator of SheetCam) is working on this for a future release.

The only solution at the moment would be to offset your shape (by half the cutter diameter) in your drawing program and then create breaks where you would like the tabs to be. Make sure the offset line is on a seperate layer (either in your drawing package or SheetCam) and then apply a 'process' to the offset layer with zero cutter offset.

Larry

I am working on adding holding tabs. They complicate the code quite a lot so it will take a while.

Another way to stop the parts moving is to not quite cut all the way through. If you leave just enough to stop the parts moving you can then snap them out of the sheet or quickly run round the edges with a craft knife.

Les