585,712 active members*
3,863 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Plasma bevel cutting

I'm interested in being able to do bevel cutting with my plasma table. It's not terribly fancy though and I don't know how it would affect my THC. If I recall correctly, I'd need an entirely new torch head for this, yes? Is it also possible that I'd need a different THC system for it to work properly? I've got an HPR260 with a Controlled Automation ProMax controller.

Another option is that I've seen bevel heads for oxy-torches, which I don't have connected right now, but my machine is capable of using it.

There are bevel consumables available for your HPR260 for bevelling to 45 degrees.....you can look them up at the following link to the Hypertherm site:
    http://www.hypertherm.com/en/Product...parts_list.jsp

Look up the bevel parts under discontinued systems...HPR260. There are consumables available for 130 Amp and 260 Amp bevel cutting...these parts extend more from the front of the torch and are more pointed, allowing you to tilt the torch at up to a 52 degree angle.

Height control for contour beveling can get complicated....there are a few industrial cutting machine manufacturers that make some very high tech solutions. If you are doing relatively simple straight line bevels...then a standard arc voltage height control will work well as long as your plate is relatively level.

Jim Colt

Thanks!

ok im trying to get the cut straight on 1/4 steel and it is beveling i mean horible tapper any help?

It would be helpful if you could tell me what make and model plasma, what consumables your are using, what power level, and what speed, torch standoff , type of cutting machine, etc. Then perhaps we can help you with your cut quality issue!

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by steel3470 View Post
    ok im trying to get the cut straight on 1/4 steel and it is beveling i mean horible tapper any help?

ok jim it is on a whitney 3400 hypertherm hpr 260 auto.

we are useing 80amp to cut 1/4 ms plate and no luck horible cut basicly looks like this \ we have been talking to hyperthem for a week now and they are stumped they tell us to lower the head to get a better cut but does not work, we rtase and lower and nothing happens.

You have a high definition class plasma system....you should be getting the best plasma cuts possible with that system, especially on the Whitney Punch/Plasma machine. Is the bad quality something that just started happening.....was it cutting good before? Is this a new machine, new operator?

Bad angulrity with an HPR260 can be caused by a lot of issues. The best process is to start fresh...open the operators manual to the page for cutting 1/4" steel, put 100% all new consumables in the torch, check inlet gas pressures with the gas panel set in the gas test position, check inlet oxygen (120 psi) pressure with gas flowing as well as inlet air (120 psi) pressure, then go step by step through the gas flow setup as outlined in the manual for 80 amp oxygen cutting on 1/4" steel. Next, calibrate the torch height per WA Whitney setup procedure and adjust the torch to work distance accordingly.

If after the above procedure is done and cut quality is still less than acceptable...there likely will be a gas flow issue...either a leak or a restriction somewhere in the gas flow system. There is a detailed gas system test procedure outlined in your Hypertherm manual, and Hypertherm tech service can help walk you through the process.

If none of the above helps...it may be time for a tech service visi fro Whitneys tech service department. They are well tained at troubleshooting issues with the Hypertherm systems installed on their machines.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by steel3470 View Post
    One of our customer try our Capacitive Sensor for bevel cutting. Sensor ring is prependicular to working plate. Please visit our web page http://www.agelkom.com.tr/prod02.htm

Regards,
    Cem