585,938 active members*
3,188 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Swarf in Coolant on Series I

I just installed a flood coolant sytstem on my BP Series I CNC Mill. My problem is the swarf clogs the drains in the table. I can let the swarf run into the coolant tank, but I'm afraid of clogging my pump, even with a filter. Any ideas?

Has yours got the perforated steel covers over the drain holes on the table.

Alternative: drain to a settling tank (where the chips will settle to the bottom, the coolant will use a spillway on the top to go into the pump tank).
    2nd alternative is to use a whole house water filter between the pump and the nozzle. None of the Bridgeport coolant systems were perfect.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Take a photo of your table were the drains are,on most there should be a perforated cover that has 2 screws that hold them in place. This stops the drain holes from blocking, & only the fine chips get through, catch the fine chips etc in the tank with a fine mesh strainer
    Mactec54

The problem is the perforated covers on the table, they clog really fast. I may use a 2 tank system, a settling tank and a fluid reservoir. I'm surprised at the amount of swarf produced. Usually I cut dry and vacuum up the chips, but with the swarf clogging the drains I have to watch to make sure the coolant doesn't overflow. I don't think the Series I was meant to be run with a flood coolant system, but nothing like a little challenge!