584,800 active members*
4,425 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Start to Finish help. What laser engraver will do the job?

Start to Finish help. What laser engraver will do the job?

Materials: Acrylics/Wood possibly some aluminum down the road. Engraving/filling.
    I'm looking to do work similar to the picture below (small graphics with some lettering) Maybe 5 or 6 projects a day, and just at home.....
    I have been looking at the Epilog Mini 18..

Can anyone help me with this info? What I should be looking for? What I need besides the actual Laseer maching (i.e software, etc)

The help is greatly appreciated.

What are the materials involved?

You are planning to engrave and then fill, correct?

Zax.

Pmd ya and update my post. Thanks!

Basically any CO2 system with a rotary adapter would be fine for engraving acrylic (it's probably the easiest of materials), wood shouldn't be any problem either. The aluminum, since it's a lower priority could be done with an additive process if needed.

So to answer your original question, yes the Epilog Mini 18 with optional rotary attachment would work fine.

The engraving would be of sufficient depth to fill with color, rub n buff or paint etc.

Zax.

Any other machines I should look at? Whether it be for price or quality?

The Epilog is a good choice for a US supported system, and it has a modern air cooled laser tube. ULS Versa series is worth checking out but may be over your budget.

I wouldn't recommend the Chinese systems unless cost is the primary factor and you are willing to invest some time learning to be a tech.

Zax.

Quote Originally Posted by 2A-TB@ThePatch View Post
    Any other machines I should look at? Whether it be for price or quality?
    If you want to engrave the aluminum material, the Co2 laser machine cannt fit your working needs,the Co2 laser machine can engrave on metals.You can consider the CNC router machine.It can engrave on arylic, wood, aluminum, PVC,Double color board,MDF,cooper etc.there is the picture of CNC router machine in the attachment for your reference.
    The picture you posted I cannt see it,can you post it again?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SF3030.jpg  

Kevin,

I am normally the first to recommend a CNC router (I do 20X more work with the router than the laser) but in this application a laser looks to be the right tool. 90%+ of the item is Acrylic or wood and if he needs to mark the aluminum ring Cermark or similar would do a nice job.

Zax.

Zax
    Laser machine can do well on engraving arylic and wood,especially on engraving and cutting machine, but it make no sign on the metal such as aluminum.If he buy the laser machine,when want to engrave the aluminum,I dont think this is good idea to find other tool to finish the work just because of the possibility of the work is little.If one tool can acehive all,why go to find two other differnet tools to do that?I dont think this is a good idea.

Kevin,

Cermark is not another machine, it is a brand name for the additive laser marking process (also sold as Thermark).

http://www.ferro.com/Our+Products/Co...rkets/CerMark/

This would require spraying the aluminum (or paste/tape) which the laser then bonds to the metal. It is very effective and produces a nice black mark.

It isn't cheap, but for a small area is reasonable. It was even discussed recently on here how to make the fluid using cheap ingredients although I haven't tested how well that works.

Just a comment on the Thermark though. I recommend the paste which can be diluted several times more than the manufacturer suggests and then sprayed VERY thin with an airbrush. It is extremely abrasion resistant when done correctly.

Zax.

That really looks cool...
    haven't got an idea of engraving these type of materials...
    thanks for your post 2A-TB@ThePatch..

Marking Systems

Quote Originally Posted by zax15uk View Post
    Kevin,

Cermark is not another machine, it is a brand name for the additive laser marking process (also sold as Thermark).

http://www.ferro.com/Our+Products/Co...rkets/CerMark/

This would require spraying the aluminum (or paste/tape) which the laser then bonds to the metal. It is very effective and produces a nice black mark.

It isn't cheap, but for a small area is reasonable. It was even discussed recently on here how to make the fluid using cheap ingredients although I haven't tested how well that works.

Just a comment on the Thermark though. I recommend the paste which can be diluted several times more than the manufacturer suggests and then sprayed VERY thin with an airbrush. It is extremely abrasion resistant when done correctly.

Zax.
    Dear Zax:
    Thanks your sharing Cermark with me.But I think he need a machine to engrave the aluminum not spray on it.
    Kevin

DEAR SIR,you'd better attach the pictures again! and we cannot see the picture!
    In my opinion, the cnc router will be better for you ! For the laser machine is mainly do the non-metal material! And the cnc can do the work with your mationed material!

If you have any other questions,pls feel free to contact me!

my email: [email protected]

Kevin,

I suggest you read the link I posted and gain some knowledge, so you understand the industry in which you are trying to sell equipment. It is better to understand the customer need before saying your machine is the best solution.

LMM is a permanent laser bonded solution, and would be black. If he used a CNC router it would need to be filled to achieve the same result so actually it is much better to use the laser. The spray is just a media that contains the particles that are laser bonded with the aluminum. It is then wiped off leaving the mark.

Zax.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinliutrade View Post
    Dear Zax:
    Thanks your sharing Cermark with me.But I think he need a machine to engrave the aluminum not spray on it.
    Kevin

His pictures appear fine to me, perhaps you are blocking them? (I saved the picture from 2A-TB@ThePatch and attached again here)

Zax.

Quote Originally Posted by fly007001 View Post
    DEAR SIR,you'd better attach the pictures again! and we cannot see the picture!
    In my opinion, the cnc router will be better for you ! For the laser machine is mainly do the non-metal material! And the cnc can do the work with your mationed material!

If you have any other questions,pls feel free to contact me!

my email: [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 022dc.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by zax15uk View Post
    Kevin,

I suggest you read the link I posted and gain some knowledge, so you understand the industry in which you are trying to sell equipment. It is better to understand the customer need before saying your machine is the best solution.

LMM is a permanent laser bonded solution, and would be black. If he used a CNC router it would need to be filled to achieve the same result so actually it is much better to use the laser. The spray is just a media that contains the particles that are laser bonded with the aluminum. It is then wiped off leaving the mark.

Zax.
    Dear Zax
    Compared with laser machine,I also persist the CNC machine can do this work well.If you want to engrave on metal dont use Co2 laser machine, thats my opinion.
    I have seen the picture you posted,the CNC machine should be equiped with a rotaty system then it can do this work.If our machine can fit the work, we can offer this kind machine but its on the basis of our machine can do that.
    Our laser machine has never use the tools you refered,You means:Use the media spray on the aluminum,then use laser to engrave the thing you sprayed?
    Kevin