585,668 active members*
3,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mitsubishi FX10k vs. Charmilles 310 wire EDM

Anybody familiar with both of these wire machines? I have a 1995 Charmilles 310 (had it since new), and am thinking about buying a 2000 Mits FX10k.

How would you rate cut speed, machine reliability, replacement parts pricing (Charmilles is outrageous!) problems to watch out for on the Mits, or any other words of wisdom.

Hello I have been working with the Charmilles 310 and with a Mitsubishi DWC 90CR (wire) not the same machine that you are looking for, but for me Charmilles is a great machine and I personally preffer Charmilles.

Mitsubishi has been designed to stop the machine if you have an alarm, service is too expensive and spare parts as well...and with the Charmilles machine you can keep working if you have an alarm onn (not all the alarms). The cost for the techical assistence (only by phone) will cost you arroud $1500 per year with Mitsubishi...

Keep your charmilles is a great machine!

Regards.

Mits FXK Series

It sounds like you have non-submerged machines right now. The FXK you're looking at will be a vast improvement in flushing issues and in cutting technology. The FXK is the improved version of the FX which had some problems with using grease on the ways and screws. All but the very early FX machines were upgraded to solve this and a few other issues. The “K” has an auto-lubrication system that auto-oils the ways and screws to keep maintenance to a minimum. You’ll love the AE (Anti-Electrolysis) power supply over the DC machines you have now. Reduces rust on steel and cobalt depletion in carbide. Much better edge quality on form tools, we get much more tool life with the AE machines.

One maintenance point to watch for is the seal plate. Mits came out with a stainless steel plate on the FA series that solved all the issues, but the plastic plate on the FXK does OK as long as you pay attention and keep it clean. My best suggestion is to always use the wire catch bucket on the AWT unit so all the little cut wire ends don’t get stuck in the plate seal.

Submerged will take all the flushing problems you currently deal with and turn them into a no-brainer. Just fill the tank and hit the go button. You’re going to love it!!!

Agreed with the above comment, We have 6 CX-20 and 1 FA-20 and they are fantastic at what they do. Very robust and if you do get an alarm you're unlucky and mostly it's just a simple fuse... I've used charmilles and can say I'm not a fan.

we have one charilles 310 wire edm machine . when i am loading system software memmory full message is coming .how can i increase memmory?

fx-10

I ran a FX-10 for 5 years. AE function was great, seal plate is a non-issue if cleaned weekly and the only errors that paused the machine was die-electric and all you have to do is pull the sensor up out of the water long enough to hit start. There is a sceduled maintance for the seal plate that will stop the machine every 500 hours. Just keep an eye on the time on the maintance page and follow the instructions in the book for "seal plate" run the subroutine and the counter gets reset to "0". Costs are no worse than any other wire machine (all outrageous) wire guides $600 ea etc... power feeders last a long time. filters 150 ea. what else........ AWT function was a pain in my butt for anything under .010 thats about it. I'd buy another if the price is right.