585,602 active members*
3,633 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: consumables

consumables

just wondering if there is a difference in consumables on a hypertherm phc with ohmic and mechanized consumables

A Hypertherm Sensor PHC is a torch height control system.....it can control torch to work distance on a variety of different plasma torches...not just Hypertherm systems.....so I'm not sure exactly what you are asking? What plasma system do you have? Some plasma systems, such as Hypertherm's Powermax systems...have some slightly different consumable part numbers that are recomended for mechanized cutting applications as compared to hand cutting.

Jim

jim my plasma is a powermax 1250

With the Sensor PHC....or any torch height control that has "ohmic sensing" to find the surface of the plate before retracting to pierce height....you must use the ohmic retaining cap and the mechanized shields. These parts allow the ohmic function....which includes a wire that must be attached to the tab on the ohmic retaining cap....to sense electrical contact with the plate. The PHC has a backup function that senses a torque increase in the z axis motor....however on materials thin enough to deflect (typically less than 1/4" thick) the ohmic function is necesary for accurate pierce height and long consumable life.

For the 1250....the ohmic retaining cap (it is listed in your operators manual) is 220061....that cap works with all consuamble sets from fine cut through 80 Amp. The shield to use with Fine Cut consumables is 220404, and the shield to use with all other processes is 120930.

Best regards, Jim Colt

okay thanks jim ,i typically am gonna be using 1|4 inch and less , by fine cut i assume you mean 1|4 inch or less which would mean i would use 220404 shield .