585,753 active members*
4,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

dynapath delta 20

i purchased a used tree journeyman 325 with a dynapath delta 20 control.i had some electrical issues with machine that have been corrected.i am new to this control.i was able to home machine,jog axis,etc, but the battery died on my machine and when i power the machine up,i get error on screen to reload programs.i have not yet replaced the battery(battery is on order).wil the machine parameters still be in machine after i replace battery or will i need to somehow load parameters back in machine?

The parameters are stored in a non-volatile EEPROM. You should be fine.

eia programming of dynapath

i replaced the battery and now i am able to jog all axis and view tool tables and other menus.again i am new to this control.before battery went dead,there was a program in control to run spindle and i would like to do a spindle test,though there is no mdi on control,can someone guide me thru a simple process to write a simple program in g code through the dynapath delta 20 control to test the spindle and maybe make some x ,y and z moves.i do not have an operator manual.

thanks

MDI

Actually, there is an MDI function. If you do a N. for a line number as if you were writing a program, thats a single line command. Just do a pocket routine the size you want to warm up the machine to. It's very easy.

could you be more thorough?from what screen do i do this?the program screen?again, i have no operators manual.i have never used this control before.all my programming experience has been mitsubishi,fanuc ,fadal,haas type controls with g codes.could you write an example for me to include spindle on and maybe a few spindle speed changes?i will greatly appreciate it.
    tanks

Given the timing of your post and the condition of your machine, I have to ask; did you buy this machine on eBay from Reliable Tools? I'm curious because I recently bought it's "sister" from R.T. and have been having similar problems, some of which are being ironed out. A manual for the Dynapath Delta 20 controller is available from Dynapath for $210.00 plus shipping. It contains everything you are likely to ever need to program the machine. I bought one and felt it was quite helpful, essential even, but still overpriced. They do still offer limited support for the Delta 20 on their website. One useful tip that I have learned these past weeks is that many controller problems are the result of a failing, or failed, DC power supply. If it doesn't perform acceptably then everything else is going to have problems. Check the Dynapath support page for tips on troubleshooting the DC power supply. One common and unavoidable problem is the aging of capacitors in the supply. Many will tell you that the best solution is to replace, not repair, the power supply due to other components continuing to age.
    You may also find yourself in need of the supporting documentation for the servo drivers. I think most Tree mills of this vintage used the Servo Dynamics SD1525 series. Amazingly enough, Servo Dynamics is also still in business and will send you a digital copy of the manual for free.
    And last but not least, the Tree mill operators manual is available on eBay for around $75.00 in digital format.
    Also, if you find yourself stuck, I highly recommend contacting Al Strelbicki of "Parts and Smarts" in Burlington, WI (262 763 7387). He is a retired Dynapath engineer who services and repairs these controllers for a reasonable price.

Good luck,
    David S. Shearer
    Machine Shop Services
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    805 431 3242

NO,I DID NOT BUY FROM RELIABLE TOOLS.I DID PURCHASE FROM AN ONLINE AUCTION THAT ADVERTISED AS IN WORKING CONDITION.APPARENTLY,DURING THE PROCESS OF REMOVING POWER FROM MACHINE SOME WIRES WERE EITHER LOOSENED OR THE BECAME LOOSE DURING TRANSPORTATION.HOWEVER,THE MACHINE WAS IN WORKING CONDITION AND DID HAVE SOME PROGRAMS STORED IN MEMORY,BUT WHEN THE BATTERIES WENT OUT,THE PROGRAMS WERE LOST.
    ONE OF THE PROGRAMS WAS A SPINDLE TEST PROGRAM WHICH MAY HAVE BEEN JUAT A SPINDLE WARM UP PROGRAM WHICH HAD SEVERAL SPINDLE SPEED COMMANDS.
    I HAD A TECHNICIAN TROUBLESHOOT THE MACHINE AND HE FOUND THE LOOSE WIRES AND SAID THAT THE MACHINE WAS SINGLE PHASING.THERE WERE SEVERAL OTHER ISSUES THAT WERE CORRECTED AFTER WIRES WERE TIGHTENED.FOR EXAMPLE,BEFORE HE CORRECTED THE PROBLEM,HTE KNEE POWER FEED WOULD TRIP THE MACHINE POEWER OUT WHEN ENGAGED.

BEFORE PROBLEM WAS CORRECTED,I TRIED TO RUN THE SPINDLE PROGRAM TO TEST THE SPINDLE.THE SPINDLE WOULD TRY TO START AND AFTER MAYBE 5 OR 7 SECONDS,THE MACHINE WOULD EVENTUALLY TRIP OUT AT THE MACHINE BREAKER.

THE SERVICE TECHNICIAL WAS NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE TREE CONTROL AND NEITHER AM I.

SO WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO IS TO WRITE A SIMPLE PROGRAM TO TEST THE SPINDLE.

I JUST NEED GUIDEANCE AS HOW TO START WRITING A G-CODE PROGRAM.

WOULD IT BE BEST IF I JUAT MADE A RS-232 CABLE AND LOAD PROGRAM INTO MACHINE.(THIS WOULD BE ANOTHER SITUATION WHERE I MAY BE LOST ALSO).HOWEVER,I DO HAVE ACCESS TO MASTERCAM WHICH HAS A DYNAPATH POST PROCESSOR.

THE PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT I CANNOT FIND ANYONE IN MY AREA THAT KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS CONTROL.

ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATESD.

THANKS

I have a delta 20 control on my Wells Index mill and I can probably help you out with some of your questions. Where are you located? I'm in NW Ohio. I'm about to run out the door so I don't have time at this exact moment, but I will give you a hand. Email me at [email protected] if you like and I will have time later tonight to reply.

Gregg

Smile Dynapath Delta Issues

Well , I have been running a Journeyman Tree with a delta 20 and have had min. problems over the years. If You are still having a problem e-mail me at [email protected] . I run Smartcam software thru a rs-232 wire . BUt controller is user friendly as well . Let me know.

Tony
    A & M Machine
    Middletown DE

Does anyone have a full lit of M codes for a Tree 840VMC w/ Dynapth Delta 20?
    Please help?
    vicslmn

First thing you need to know is how to move it around and zero return it. The J310 and J325 did not have zero return switches, the J425 did. You need to power up, press the reset a few times till you hear the contactor pull in. Then press mode select, 0, then jog the x to just to the minus side of the arrows lining up, the y just to the minus of the arrow to the saddle casting, and z quill so you see about 1/8 inch of the quill poking out of the casting. Then in that same page, there is a zero mode, press that (9 I think) and toggle each axis to the +. Axis will only move a short distance. After that, press mode select, program (3 maybe?) and press N. don't forget the decimal after N. that puts the machine in MDI mode. Then press event type (I think it was called mcode) type m3 enter then s100 enter, then cycle start. Spindle should be running at 100 rpm now. Make sure your drawbar is clamped.

Mode select puts the machine in different conditions, programming, auto, jog, etc
    Event type is the programming, circle, pocket, Eia (if it is new enough to have it) etc.

Once you understand Dynapath, it's actually one of the easiest quickest controls to work with IMO.