585,668 active members*
4,183 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Building a New Home shop---Need some ideas.

Building a New Home shop---Need some ideas.

I am building me a new 30' x 4-' x 10' shop.
    Instulated with double bubble, whatever that is.

So I am trying to figure out a few things.

1. How to keep humidity down, I am in Paris Texas and I do not want my mill, and etc to rust.

2. How to plumb my air compressor the best.

I have a dozen ideas of for each, but does anyone any proven good ideas?
    Donald

Well double bubble is probably the Home Depot bubble insulation with an R3.4 or something close to that.

Without AC in the machine room, you can use individual machine covers...I'm trying to remember the thread about covered machines and some chemical packets (they were not a desicant) but in a closed space they covered exposed metal surface with some rust preventive.

Is this a metal barn, have you selected a vendor/installer...I'm wondering because I'm planning something similar....check out redstone-tech.com about a guy in Columbus, TX that built something similar with living quarters...no machines though.

Plumbing for the compressor....I suspect that 1 inch copper would be way to go....can handle the volume and should be able to handle the 150 PSI pressure. You need to have places in the runs where you can drain-off any moisture, even if using a dryer. So basically no level runs.

Any pics of the shop?

Thanks,

Paul

When running the air line I always do something like this so water has a real tough time getting into the individual drops.
    ___Quick connect
    _______l___________________________________Main line

Of coure done my way maybe they should be called raises.LOL

In my shop I went with 3/4" black pipe. It can handle the pressure and was way!!!!!!!!!! less expensive than copper.

I had a nice piece of large diameter air hose and I used that to go from the compressor to the wall to help reduce or eliminate vibration transmission to the air lines.

I have heard of people using PVC cold water piping but make sure it can handle the pressure and the vibration.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Yes, it is a pole bard with metal siding. From talking with them it should be pretty tight. I am going frame in probably a 10' x 30' section to A/C and heat possibly. This would of course be my machine area. Just do not want to run heat or a/c all the time. That is why I was looking for suggestions.
    Donald

Noted above that PVC was suggested. DON'T do it. I have read all the warnings about how it can fracture and make many shards of potentially lethal edges. OH, by the way in my younger and stupider days, I did it and sure enough, that sch 80 piece of pvc exploded.
    Fortunately it did it when I was outside the garage. Yep, that called for some clean drawers when I realized what "could" have happened.

Otherwise, I like the sound of your plan. Wish I had walled in an area and heated and cooled it!
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)