585,712 active members*
3,772 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Looking for christmas present ideas with cnc mill....
Page 1 of 2 12

Looking for christmas present ideas with cnc mill....

Hey guys,
    Just was sitting here wondering what I can make for fellow workers using my newly completed cnc milling machine. I was thinking some kinda engraving or something like that to give to casual friends... anyone here made anything cool that they would like to share? Peace and MERRY CHRISTMAS....

Pete,

I can show you how to make a really nice quill drive, for all your friends witrh Bridgeports! :-)

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1050521.JPG  

Hey RAY!!!!

Merry Christmas my good man...... That is certainly one of the best looking quill drives I have ever seen, Gotta rig up some way to cover that ballscrew tho. This thread is goin over like a lead baloon no.... I was actually thinking I might be able to make some personalized presents for my coworkers on the machine. Perhaps engraving their names into some purchased product or make some kinda plate with their names and some harley style flames or something like that... Got any ideas fellas? peace

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    Merry Christmas my good man...... That is certainly one of the best looking quill drives I have ever seen, Gotta rig up some way to cover that ballscrew tho. This thread is goin over like a lead baloon no.... I was actually thinking I might be able to make some personalized presents for my coworkers on the machine. Perhaps engraving their names into some purchased product or make some kinda plate with their names and some harley style flames or something like that... Got any ideas fellas? peace

Pete
    Pete,

The belt and screw will be covered, perhaps tomorrow.

Howzabout turners cubes:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tu...N&hl=en&tab=wi

Kinda cool, and not hard to make

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray...

HAHAHA I said SIMPLE gifts for friends!!!! I have never made one of those and they certainly do not look simple.... I gotta get these done in the next few evenings ya know.... any OTHER ideas... peace

I can't find the link, but I saw some 3d metal sliding puzzles kinda like a Chinese puzzle box thing that looked easy to make. You could also engrave their names on them. Just a thought.

Jeff

Interesting idea.....

Not sure what to do with it without a link tho. I have a local store that sells fastners here that has an eclectic selection of interesting pocket tools at the register. I may go down there after work tomorrow and see what they have that is useful and relatively inexpensive. I think I am gonna buy something like a small pocket knife or can opener and engrave their names on them for the holidays... Unless someone comes up with a better idea.... peace

The turner's cubes are actually not that hard to make--bunch of interpolated holes on the 'ole CNC ya know.

Failing that, the engraving idea is cool. You could also make some sort of engraved candle holder sort of thingey.

I got a note from a guy that was making some little custom flashlights--those were very cool!

Here's another wild thought. Go buy some folding knives. Pull the bolsters off and machine some new custom bolsters with the person's name or something else custom out of aluminum. Bolt you new ones on and you have your first run of custom knives.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Hi Pete,
    How about a small metal tag with their names engraved in them and a hole for their keychain. Done in alum or stainless would be nice and simple, and gives it a personal touch.

The other thing would be a nice folding titanium Christmas card.
    Properly hinged and tastefully done they shouldn't set you back more than about $100 each and a few weeks time, shame you didn't get started earlier.
    Don't forget the Tungsten carbide highlights, just to make them fancy

Merry Christmas,

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

More than a few ideas posted here with free DXF's, Holiday ornaments and coasters, etc.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...19346&page=424
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Stainless steel keyring is a nice idea. Here's one I did - the blank was just a plain one bought from a shop.

Another nice idea is a trinket box, I did this one in aluminium with a sliding lid and magnetic closure. With some personalised engraving thrown in too.

Thanks guys.....

Those are certainly some good ideas. I just hope I have some time this week to make them. I actually did download one of those DXF files and intended to make some cool key fobs. I even changed the drawing around a bit to see what it might look like. I am gonna try to get some machined tomorrow night. Peace and MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLAS!!!

Burr puzzles

Hi Pete,

Jeff Davis mentioned making a 3d sliding puzzle. I believe he was reffering to what are called burr puzzles. Pretty simple with a cnc mill (even a manual mill). Here's a link to a page with all you'll ever need to know on burrs.The Burr Puzzle Site

Mike

Jeff and Mike....

Looking at those burr puzzles they are really neat. However I am wondering how you could make them with a mill. There seems to be a bunch of the pieces with inside square corners that are simply not possible with a milling machine. Perhaps I am missing something. They certainly are neat tho. Would not mind having one for myself to goof with.. peace

Mike was right on target, that is the site i ran across a couple weeks ago. This one on that site has no inside corners, but each bar piece would required the machining of just 2 sides. http://www.research.ibm.com/BurrPuzzles/Samples.html

Thanks for finding that Mike, I was kinda thinking of making a few for some of my friends, but they have wait a bit, I cracked a rib last week and I am doing good just to walk.

Jeff

Pete

The burr puzzles are sort of divided into three groups as far as manufacturing goes - "notchable", "millable" and "internal corner". Notchable are possible to make using a sliding cutting action (ie table saw) where as millable do not pass all the way though the part but do not have internal corners. These are some of the little trinkets I plan to make once I get my mill (and get it up and running). Let us see your creations once you do decide and make something.

Later,

Mike

Looking at those burr puzzles they are really neat. However I am wondering how you could make them with a mill. There seems to be a bunch of the pieces with inside square corners that are simply not possible with a milling machine. Perhaps I am missing something. They certainly are neat tho. Would not mind having one for myself to goof with.. peace
    Looks to me like they'd be a piece of cake to mill - you just have to rotate most pieces at least once to mill on different sides. But, it would be a piece of cake to make a whole batch of them at once, using just a vise for workholding. I bet you could easily make a half-dozen of them in a few hours.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Ray.....

I agree that they would be a piece of cake but my comments were to the fact that the one I looked at had some square inside corners. Apparently there are some that do not so you are correct that they would just be basically machined on one side then turned 90 degrees and machined on another side. Neat items tho. I may not be able to make anything now since I have gotten some other things thrown into my lap recently. I may have to have the wife bake up some cookies and put them into a nice wrapper for the fellows at work. Bummer.... peace

I agree that they would be a piece of cake but my comments were to the fact that the one I looked at had some square inside corners. Apparently there are some that do not so you are correct that they would just be basically machined on one side then turned 90 degrees and machined on another side. Neat items tho. I may not be able to make anything now since I have gotten some other things thrown into my lap recently. I may have to have the wife bake up some cookies and put them into a nice wrapper for the fellows at work. Bummer.... peace
    Hi Pete,
    I hope at least the stove is CNC controlled,

Mike.
    Merry Christmas.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

HAHA...

Sure wish it was, might be less burnt stuff coming from there if it had some computer control...... Don't tell her I said that okay!!! peace

Page 1 of 2 12