585,766 active members*
4,119 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Torchmate > I know you've heard it all before

Question I know you've heard it all before

This may be the (wrong), but since it has the most threads and posts i opted to enter my thread here. I've been reading and checking and re-checking on this site as well as others on a good all around cnc plasma cutting machine to purchase. Have read Torchheads comments as well as those from Torchmate etc.etc.etc. and they are good advice. I do metal art work, welding, fabricating etc.
    The requirments i need are:
    1. 5x10 table, can take the weight, movement etc.
    2. Cut everything from 1/8 to 1/2 metal
    3. Good, reliable, programing on system
    4. Good tech support at anytime
    5. Good warranty on parts etc.
    6. THC included with purchase
    This is such a great site with a wealth of knowledge out there on cnc machines from people that have the different combinations and accessories of different type units that your input is/will be greatly appreciated. To any of you guys out there that have different type systems your comments/suggestions will hopefully stear me in a direction of mental bliss. Again thanks for your suggestion.

Some important considerations:

Are you planning to use this machine for a. occasional use (hobby, entry level, maintenance shop), b. mid level production (welding shop, small manufacturer, not more than 1 shift on average), c. high production....need parts produced 2 or 3 shifts...(must have minimal downtime, cut to cut cycle times are important, efficient drawing, nesting and material utilization important)

Also.....cut part accuracy. Many machine manufacturers talk about their machines being more accurate than the plasma torch...but don't get into specifics! In reallity...there are entry level, low duty cycle plasma systems (most air plasma fits in this category) and there are high end industrial high definition class plasma systems that....coupled with a machine that can maintain feedrates and contour accuracy at the same time....can produce parts with great accuracy.

There is a huge price, complexity difference between machines. You can buy a 5 x10 machine with an air plasma (80 Amps) that will cut 1/2" material efficiently for around $16k (with a good quality THC).......and you can buy a 5 x 10 precision cutting machine with an industrail hardened cnc control and high definition class plasma.....for $150k.

They both cut metal....the $150K machine will cut faster, at lower cost per part, with higher reliability, less operator intervention, better cut quality/metalurgy, better cut part accuracy.

I work for Hypertherm (32 years) and have worked with virtually every cutting machine manufacturer at one time or another (worldwide....there are over 100 manufacturers of cnc plasma machines). In my home shop I have a PlasmaCam 4 x4 DHC2 machine (they also have a 5 x 10). It has some great features that suit my hobby needs perfectly (fantastic torch heigh control, easy to learn and use CAD/CAM software)......yet there are others in the entry level machine area that would also have suited my needs...such as Dynatorch, Tracker, TorchMate....and a few others.

Jim Colt

Thanks Jim
    Will use the machine as in A and a very small part in B. I also have a hypertherm plasma machine at this time.
    Your response/knowledge is very much appreciated