585,938 active members*
3,188 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Mill Tool Setter?

We currently are using a few Haas mini mills and are looking for a better way to touch off our tools. We currently use the old fashion piece of paper touch off method. Enco sells a tool setter from Fowler (http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INSRHI ) I didn’t know if anyone has used the Fowler tool setter. I have seen tool setters from $75 to thousands of dollars. Can someone recommend a good tool setter for a CNC Mill that is cost effective and durable? We will either buy 4 tool setters or use one for all four of our centers depending on cost and flexibility.

Thanks,

I have found no tool setter to be more accurate or less expensive than a stack of Post-It (TM) notes. I buy the generic ones from the local office supply store about once a year. I think it costs somewhere around $5, and there's no maintenance to worry about.

Well... As soon as my router support surface block/tool setter to do automatic length correction, it would be stupid not to use such convenient function... I'm using one made by myself for more than half of year and am happy with it. You can find it on Ebay item #160387750380 as well.

It gives resolution below 0.004mm which is more than enough for my applications ;-)

You can make your own with a Dial Indicator.

See Pic and Zipped Adobe File

Mine costs $90. Federal Indicator .0001 resolution (bought at pawn shop 10 years ago), Material and Hardware.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tool setter.jpeg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

A stack of Post-It notes is certainly an interesting method I'll have to try that now. Just out of curiosity, what does a stack of 'notes measure?

BTW, before I bought my Starret I used a basic 1-2-3 block to set heights. I don't know what they run nowadays but it worked well for 7-8 years. I would start with the tool below the top of the block and job up 0.001 at a time until the block slid (gently) underneath. For greater precision I would record the Z then make a negative approach to the block (down) 0.0001 at a time until the block would not slide in.

I much prefer the Starret

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    You can make your own with a Dial Indicator.

See Pic and Zipped Adobe File

Mine costs $90. Federal Indicator .0001 resolution (bought at pawn shop 10 years ago), Material and Hardware.
    That's pretty slick Toby

Tool lenght setter.

There is something similar to what Toby shows on the Industrial hobbies website.
    The other way is via some electrical/electronic means.

I purchased a probe from Wildhorse innovations and it comes with a tool length setting top.
    IMserv also sells one.
    For Mach3 users there is a great write up about how to use it and custom screens .

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36099

My BTC-1 has a 24 position tool changer which will be integrated this winter. I will be testing out the probe for edge finding and for tool setting. At about $100 each if I like it I will buy a second one so the tool length setter can be permanently installed on the table.

I am not sure if you Haas supports this type of probe and tool setter but to automate the process makes a ton of sense especially in a production environment.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    That's pretty slick Toby
    I made this at home because the shop I was working at was using a lot of CBN Miniature End Mills from Harvey Tool. They cost $221.00 for a .6mm to $235.00 for a 2mm. The other guys were chipping the tools on touch off with paper and plastic shim, so I made this to eliminate the chipping.

The Body is 17-4PH, the Foot is Brass 360 Half Hard, and the Calibration Dial on the bottom is 17-4 PH as well. It was fun to make.

It is pretty slick, but not totally my idea, it was modified from someone else's design.

Considering that you can touch tools within .0001 it is great for when you have to blend pocket floors and hold Tight Tolerances.

I can't take all the credit for this, but thanks.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

For reference:

1 Post-It (TM) note is about 0.002" thick measured with Made in USA digital micrometer.

It gets close enough for most of my work.

Toby, I have seen a similar product to what you built, but I think I like yours better. Nice work.

Fegenbush

Nice stuff

Anyone have any idea how to rig up something with a dial gauge that is 0.125 thick?

Dropout

Deleted

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...fset_gage_usa_

This is what I have used the last 10 years. It has set my Z within .0005 every time. I've seen it for $99 in some of the sale fliers. the best investment I've ever made for setup tools at least. I have never bought anything from wttool so I couldn't say how there service is. I believe I got mine from TSI. DO NOT BUY THE FOWLER ONE!!! another guy I work with got one and it is a piece of crap. The one I have is spring loaded so if you come down a little to much or to fast no harm (the fowler is not!). you will have tool marks within a month of use and soon you will be searching for a spt that isn't all mahrd up. I guess that is why they make the contact surface so large.

Quote Originally Posted by Fegenbush View Post
    For reference:

1 Post-It (TM) note is about 0.002" thick measured with Made in USA digital micrometer.

It gets close enough for most of my work.

Toby, I have seen a similar product to what you built, but I think I like yours better. Nice work.

Fegenbush
    Thanks for the compliment
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Question

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALLYRC View Post
    There is something similar to what Toby shows on the Industrial hobbies website.
    The other way is via some electrical/electronic means.

I purchased a probe from Wildhorse innovations and it comes with a tool length setting top.
    IMserv also sells one.
    For Mach3 users there is a great write up about how to use it and custom screens .

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36099

My BTC-1 has a 24 position tool changer which will be integrated this winter. I will be testing out the probe for edge finding and for tool setting. At about $100 each if I like it I will buy a second one so the tool length setter can be permanently installed on the table.

I am not sure if you Haas supports this type of probe and tool setter but to automate the process makes a ton of sense especially in a production environment.

Mike
    Mike, I am thinking of purchasing the same thing from Wildhorse Innovations. How do you like it and what size is the ball on the end? Hard to tell from the picture on his website and no spec's. I am going to use with a IM Service 12x24 router system so hoping the stereo plug works without rewiring. BG

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Mike, I am thinking of purchasing the same thing from Wildhorse Innovations. How do you like it and what size is the ball on the end? Hard to tell from the picture on his website and no spec's. I am going to use with a IM Service 12x24 router system so hoping the stereo plug works without rewiring. BG
    Hi wmgeorge,
    In the short time that I have had it I like it. i was able to us the Mach3 probing wizard and probe a piece of angle iron with the angle pointing up. The probe works well and is durable. I drove it straight down into the vise and all i did was bend the tip. The probe was not at fault as I was testing some specialty stuff and it didn't work correctly.

The probe comes with a female stereo plug so all you have to do is wire that in.

The ball is approximately .125 or there abouts but I don't remember exactly. If I remember the tips are not made to an exact size and for most of the probing wizards you can set the tip diameter.

I will be making a new probe tip since I bent mine.

All in all I like it and hope to get some of Himmykabbibles probing wizards and tool length macros put into play.

Of course I need to quit my day job to get it all done in a reasonable amount of time.

Mike

Wildhorse Innovations Probe

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALLYRC View Post
    Hi wmgeorge,
    In the short time that I have had it I like it. i was able to us the Mach3 probing wizard and probe a piece of angle iron with the angle pointing up. The probe works well and is durable. I drove it straight down into the vise and all i did was bend the tip. The probe was not at fault as I was testing some specialty stuff and it didn't work correctly.

The probe comes with a female stereo plug so all you have to do is wire that in.

The ball is approximately .125 or there abouts but I don't remember exactly. If I remember the tips are not made to an exact size and for most of the probing wizards you can set the tip diameter.

I will be making a new probe tip since I bent mine.

All in all I like it and hope to get some of Himmykabbibles probing wizards and tool length macros put into play.

Of course I need to quit my day job to get it all done in a reasonable amount of time.

Mike
    Thanks Mike, I'm wondering how hard it would be to A: Buy a commercial Ruby tip probe like a 1 mm or B: Make one out of plastic with a small tip so it would not scratch and break or snap off in case of a major crash, which I assume happens.

Wonder how well its constructed?

I am interested in hearing from other users before I commit. This website is Sooo Big and Soo slow with all the banner ads, very difficult to use even with a DSL line.

The part that the probe tip mounts to is designed to fail in the event of a major crash. It is not expensive and is easy to replace. I must have hit the e-stop just in time since all I did was to bend the tip like I said.
    I too am interested in what other users have to say, especially the long term durability.

Plastic would most likely deform a little bit under the spring tension and may not be the best choice. A plastic tip on just the end of the probe tip could be an option for delicate parts if you did not want to mar the surface.
    When I probed the piece of angle iron, it left the smallest of small little dots on the surface. If the part to be probed was a family heirloom you would of course not want to mar it.

Mike