585,737 active members*
4,584 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

seeking advice on spindle lift

I recently came across 2 used 12 HP perske spindle routers for a good price. They weigh just under 200 pounds each. I would like to make a shaper table for my woodworking, a very powerful shaper! I would use a VFD for a phase convertor and speed control. I know this isn't really a CNC project but it does involve using linear motion to raise and lower a spindle which you guess have some experience with so was hoping you might have some advice. Here is what I'm going for

And here is a picture of the spindle Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2591.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	95817

I need to make a carraige of sorts to to mount the spindle to that I can raise and lower. I'm thinking about using a screw to raise and lower everything but not sure about how to keep everything lined up and rigid. Right now I'm thinking about mounting the spindle to some linear bearings that will ride up and down on shafts. Not sure if this will be sturdy enough or not, maybe use 2 shafts and 4 bearings(2 on each shaft) to give it some more stability? I'm just worried about the mounts being on the top and the heavy motor being on the bottom that the weight might "pull" on the spindle and then it would want to lean and not be perfectly straight. Hopefully I explained my worries so you understand them and maybe someone has some advice on how I can securely mount the heavy spindle and it still be able to raise and lower it.

Thanks for your help and any advice will be greatly appreciated. I figured I would start with this project since it only has one axis to deal with and then look into a CNC router table for the other spindle I picked up.

I would look at mounting a carriage on vertical rod with either recirculating ball or Teflon lined Simplicity bearing such as Pacific Bearing make.
    http://www.pacific-bearing.com/LinearPlaneBearings.aspx
    Also order a free catalogue from Misumi, you will find info on all the material you will need.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

look at c.r. onsrud inverted router. they have been doing this for years.you could use an air cylinder or screw to move it up and down. www.cronsrud.com

Thanks guys. I ordered a catalog from Misumi, their prices seem better than Mcmaster-Carr which is where I usually order from.

Eigstein-that is a pretty neat shaper. That's not exactly what I'm looking to do. I don't need to raise and lower the router the way they do. I'm just looking for something to adjust the height of the router's bit for different cuts. Like a fine adjustment, just like on any wood shaper or router table.

After looking at the grizzly shaper I posted it looks like they use a long bolt with a spring on it to help support the spindle/motor assembly. I think this would really take a lot of the pressure off the shafts/linear bearings.

Another idea I have had is to use a set of linear bearings/shafts where the mount is on the spindle and then below them make a bracket and let it slide against a peice of UHMW to support some of the weight.

I'm also thinking about using a ring and pinion type setup so the height adjustment is on the front of the machine vs. having to adjust the height screw from the top of the table.

Lots to think about! Thanks for the advice and anymore thoughts are welcome.

Scott