585,722 active members*
3,978 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Yaskawa SGM-02B312 & SGD-02BS
Page 1 of 2 12

Question Yaskawa SGM-02B312 & SGD-02BS

I have come across a few, 9 each, of the Yaskawa SGM-02B312 AC Servo Motors and SGD-02BS Servopacks. I want to turn a mini mill into a CNC but need A LOT of help with the electronics. I want to either use MACH3 or LinuxCNC on the PC but I don't know what else I need or even if I can use what I have. I am willing to trade some motors and servopacks for items that I would need and also for saying "thanks" for helping me. So, Help, what do I have? What does a servopack do? What else do I need? yada, yada, yada.
    Thanks, Richard.

If you are in or near CT I would be willing to help. I will of course answer questions that I have an answer to when time allows here on the Zone.
    Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Richard,

I am about 45 minutes north of you, near Gurnee.

I would be happy to help.

Do you have a instant messenger?

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    TC,

I am about 45 minutes north of you, near Gurnee.

I would be happy to help.

Do you have a instant messenger?

Welcome to the Zone,

Jeff...
    Hey Jeff, I wondered how you knew where he lived then I checked his public profile.
    And I thought you were psychic.

Mike

Talking

Mike,

I figured I would check to see where he was located before I opened my big mouth and offered to help.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Hi TurdCurd!

Yaskawa SGM-02B312 AC Servo Motors and SGD-02BS Servopacks are 200watt analog drives. You can not use them with mach3 etc. these software require digital signal(Pulse & Direction) supported drives. You must have SGD-02BP or SDGP-02BP drives to work with mach3. If you have them i will help you. I have used Mitsubishi and yaskawa drive lots of time. If you wanna sale them give me all the model no. of the drive you have and price.

Quote Originally Posted by sarfrazahmed9 View Post
    Hi TurdCurd!

Yaskawa SGM-02B312 AC Servo Motors and SGD-02BS Servopacks are 200watt analog drives. You can not use them with mach3 etc. these software require digital signal(Pulse & Direction) supported drives. You must have SGD-02BP or SDGP-02BP drives to work with mach3. If you have them i will help you. I have used Mitsubishi and yaskawa drive lots of time. If you wanna sale them give me all the model no. of the drive you have and price.
    Mach3 now has several options to use analog drives. The dspmc for one and the kflop with kanalog option for 2.
    I also believe there are more but they escape me at the moment.
    There is also the yaps10 which is similar to a pixie. Search the zone for more info.

Yes, but for a novice or newcommer for understanding the cnc operation it is better to use pulse direction drive because the work similairly to stepper drive.It require not any additional hardware .Just a computer with parallel port.

Wink

Sarfrazahmed9,

No worries, we have lots of experience with the Yaskawa parts.

Have a most awesome day,

Jeff...

Okey did you ever use the fanuc drives with mach3?

sarfrazahmed9 is right in what he is saying, These drives will not be easy for you to get going

They are the right drives for CNC, But you will need the hardware & software to make them run, Your motors are fine but may be a little on the light side, they are only 90oz & max to 270oz, The most universal drive is the SGDA which can be run any way you want.

Your Drive SGD-02BS The B stands for 100V the S stands for speed control/torque control The P if you had it stands for position control,

When you have a drive with position control, you can use Mach software, which put out step/dir straight to the servo drive, this makes for a easy set up, you just need a break out board, to do your wiring from computer port to the servo drive.
    Mactec54

So Swap BS for BP?

I can easily switch the BS packs for BP packs, there a lot of them. The place I'm getting them have too many and because I'm helping them reorganize, they said I could take what ever I needed. I took the BS packs because I don't have scales on the machine and the guy said I would need them with the BP drives.

Hi TurdCurd

What are the numbers on the drives the complete spec of the drive,

There are some drives that do need to have scales for feed back, but most only need your motor encoder feed back for position control
    Mactec54

I have Mach3 running with SGD-02BS drive and SGM-02314 motors. I use the Galil motion controller plugin to provide the analog signal to the speed control drives. It's not hard to set up. In fact, it was quite easy. Tuning the servos was the only challenge. And if you get the Galil WSDK software, it's a snap to get them in the ball park. With this setup, you get true closed loop (at the Galil). Beautiful running setup.

I also have some position control drives (SGD-02BP). They do not require scales. The feedback from the motor encoder is all that they need. I believe the person told you that you may need scales on the machine to provide a closed feedback loop. If you are using a Mach stepper interface, you can forget that idea. The P series drive will simply act like open loop steppers.

Steve

yaskawa cables

Anyone have any luck making their own cables?

I had seen some ideas about what to do in other threads, but couldn't find anything that confirmed the ideas.

Thanks

Hi oxford

The cables are easy to make if you have the plugs & correct cable, all the information is in the Yaskawa manuals for what wire for what pin, You can get the manuals off there web site
    Mactec54

Cable follow-up

I have seen some info from Yaskawa and it looks simple enough to follow.

I just don't know which plugs are compatible with the SGDA, SGD, or the SGDH drives. The problem is Yaskawa lists some part #s that I can't find.

I also have never used a crimping tool before and could use some advise on what to look for.

Thanks again

Hi oxford

There are different plugs for the different drives, you need to get the solder type plugs
    to do it your self, You can get some of the plugs from Yaskawa, some are 3M some are Honda, which you can find. you will have to search the web to find them or find some cables with the drive end plug on them, the best place to get cable from is IGUS
    Mactec54

The link below is to a Northwestern U page that breaks the cable issues down in a good manner. These connectors will work with the SGD, SGDA, SGDB, and SGDL drives. You will need SGM motors with these drives. I have successfully made cables from the part numbers on this page. However, the control and feedback wire size is a bit big, so I substituted part numbers that are for 28AWG and got better results the next go around. (This is the size that Yaskawa uses on their prefab cables).

The SGDH (sigma II) drives use a different motor feedback cable and require a different motor (SGMAH).

http://www.mech.northwestern.edu/cou...ervomotors.htm

Steve

Thanks Smurph

when you write "better results" do you mean cleaner/prettier, or they functioned better?

Page 1 of 2 12