585,717 active members*
3,863 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam 9.1 and windows 7
Page 1 of 2 12

Mastercam 9.1 and windows 7

Well the computer we use to program our mills and lathes died. So I upgraded to a windows 7 pc. Well now when I go to verify the box at the bottom does not come up. Making it impossible to verify.

Everything else is running good but that kinda makes it hard to use. Has anyone else had this issue?

I had graphics issues too trying to run it in Win7. Everything looked ok, but couldn't get things in the graphics window to work, like some kind of driver failure.

Is it possible that 9.1 would work under the XP 'emulator' that Microsoft supplies for Vista/7 ?? I haven't tried that. There's always the possibility of partitioning the drive and setting up a dual boot system with XP.

Aren't you glad that machine tools aren't like computer hardware and software?? Oh, the nightmare.

Need a new 1/2" endmill, but the new endmills won't work in the CAT40 holder, you need to buy the new CAT40.1 holder. But the new CAT40.1 holder won't fit in the old spindle, so you need to refit the machine with a new spindle. The encoders for the new spindles are 64bit, and the old control only reads 32bit...so you need a new control......ad infinitum........

...And this is progress??

Well I got it working. Ended up needing to do a fresh install. And install a newer video card.

did you try running in the xp mode first?I use windows 7 with X4 and had to run in compatibility mode as well as adjust graphics support within mastercam configuration.

Mastercam 9 will not with XP or newer OS.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

newtexas2006,
    "Mastercam 9 will not with XP or newer OS"

This is absolutely false.I use Mastercam 9 on a pc running XP Pro at work and home. I run X2 on XP pro at home as well and Run X4 on a laptop using Windows 7. Please get your facts straight before you post absurd comments!

Bordering, perhaps on the absurd.....has anyone run X on a Mac via VM Fusion or Bootcamp?

I'm about to partition a new Intel iMac with Win7 (or XP Pro 64-bit??) and install Fusion....and X4 to see if it will run faster than on my PC.

Anyone with experience?

.....I'd really like to be able to run 9.1 on it too for a client that's stuck with 9.1, which is why I'm considering the XP option. Would prefer to run Win7, so I get the compatibility crap out of the way earlier than later.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebrewman View Post
    newtexas2006,
    "Mastercam 9 will not with XP or newer OS"

This is absolutely false.I use Mastercam 9 on a pc running XP Pro at work and home. I run X2 on XP pro at home as well and Run X4 on a laptop using Windows 7. Please get your facts straight before you post absurd comments!
    Ok smart ass LipslicBihid, I mean Vista or newer, you can start the program but many features seem doesn't work right.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

forgive my bad English.
    This solution worked for me. I changed aero them to classic. In mastercam i disabled "OpenGL Drawing".

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    Bordering, perhaps on the absurd.....has anyone run X on a Mac via VM Fusion or Bootcamp?

I'm about to partition a new Intel iMac with Win7 (or XP Pro 64-bit??) and install Fusion....and X4 to see if it will run faster than on my PC.

Anyone with experience?

.....I'd really like to be able to run 9.1 on it too for a client that's stuck with 9.1, which is why I'm considering the XP option. Would prefer to run Win7, so I get the compatibility crap out of the way earlier than later.
    I have run using Bootcamp better then using VMware as Bootcamp will use all the hardware were VMWare will emulate for example the video and that is not good. I have done this on a Mac Book Pro and a Mac Pro work station. runs great.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Try this, go into:

Control panel
    Display
    Adjust resolution
    Advanced settings
    Adaptor
    List all modes

Change to 1366 by 768, high colour (16bit), 60 Hertz.

Then go into monitor and change from True Colour (32 bit) to High Colour (16 bit).

This should enable you to verify entities, however try chaining a toolpath; it won’t show the arrows indicating the direction or which side the chain is, the arrows flash so quick you can’t see them.

Let me know if this works for you, and if you get the chaining sorted I would kill to know how you’ve done it.

Smakre,

Cavedog has got it sorted, it works!!!.

Hello cadcam,

Have you checked compatibility?
    Just an FYI for you.

It is always best to check with the software manufacturer FIRST. They will tell you if they have tested the product and the version, as well as whether or not it will work with Windows 7.
    Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibility.)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...s/default.aspx
    There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".

There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

In any event a lot of the times, Vista drivers will work in lieu of Windows 7 drivers, however, it's not 100%!

As stated previously, it's best to have the Windows 7 certified drivers installed.

Thanks again,
    John M.
    Microsoft Windows Client Support

Smile

I am using mastercam9 on windows 7 and haven't had any trouble (yet!)
    Updated my computer (so I could use a sata hard drive) did a clean install of windows 7 then installed the cad and cam software (solidworks 2007 and mastercam 9 and they seem to be working OK

mastercam 9

I have run Mastercam 9 under Windows XP in Virtualbox on a Windows 7 machine and it works great.

9.1 on Win7 64bit???

Haven't been able to find an answer...

Anyone know if 9.1 will run on a Win 7 64bit system?

Buying a new box, and want to be able to upgrade to X5 when I win the lotto, but in the meantime I need to be able to make enough money to buy lotto tickets with 9.1 .......

I'll buy a 32bit ver. if I have to, but would prefer to do the quantum leap.

..Thinking about a Dell Latitude 6510, and the only other concern is the NVidia 512 NVS 3100M video card's compatibility with Open GL, etc...

I run it, no problem.
    Win 7 64 bit
    ObrienDave. MasterCam since V6. Gcode since 1983.
    The nose you punch today may belong to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ObrienDave View Post
    I run it, no problem.
    Win 7 64 bit
    THANKS!!

I should have specified that I run it under Windows XP Service Pack 3 compatability mode
    ObrienDave. MasterCam since V6. Gcode since 1983.
    The nose you punch today may belong to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.

can help me? I need mastercam 9.1 for win 7,

Page 1 of 2 12