584,830 active members*
5,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Allen B Ultra 100 drives experts?

Allen B Ultra 100 drives experts?

Any one know how to make a custom motor profiles in the Ultramaster software? I want to try running a Mitsubishi motor but need to change the encoder count # and hall offsets but the software won't let me. It says in the manual that it can be done but doesn't say how exactly....

The drive runs allen b motors no problem.

Thanks
    Dennis

I believe these are made by ElectroCraft? The same as the BRU series?
    I have been trying to reconfigure the E.C. style and even contacted ElectroCraft and they say they don't support them anymore due to being obsolete.
    As far as I can tell so far, the prom has to be reprogrammed or changed.
    What is the AB software you have? As it should work on the E.C. version also.
    Also the encoder input requires a commutation input pin which from what I gather only applies to A.B. or E.C. motors?
    Do you have the manual in PDF, by the way? I would like to get a copy if it is different from the EC.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have the Giddings & Lewis software DSMPro it is exactly the same as the UltraMaster have it also. I have both A B 1398 and Electrocraft BRU drives it's all the same just different stickers on them.
    In the AB manual it says the motor profile .MTR its a binary file that is made by Ultramaster software but there is no option to make it.
    PM me i'll send you more info...
    Dennis

I don't think there are any experts here because I didn't even get a "duh" response to my thread about communications. I've never tried to do this, but I saw something in the Giddings literature about the "ABS" track. But maybe it was when they went to the next series you needed hall tracks and the older motors didn't have it. I'm just posting this as a "duh" response so that you know the system is working.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCNC View Post
    Any one know how to make a custom motor profiles in the Ultramaster software? I want to try running a Mitsubishi motor but need to change the encoder count # and hall offsets but the software won't let me. It says in the manual that it can be done but doesn't say how exactly....

The drive runs allen b motors no problem.

Thanks
    Hi DennisCNC,

To make custom motor profiles you need to use Ultra Master advanced. I'm sorry I don't recall how to get into the advanced version, but it is supposed to be in the Ultramaster help menu. From memory, I think you start the software using a command line parameter, but it's been a while and I'm VERY rusty on this, so please don't hold me to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Do you have the manual in PDF, by the way? I would like to get a copy if it is different from the EC.
    Al.
    Hi Al, is it the manual for the AB Ultra 100 you're after, or the Electrocraft BRU series? The Ultra 100 series manual is top of this list.

Best regards,

Jason

It looks like the BRU E.C. are different (physically anyway) than the A.B. drives.
    From what I see so far, the motors have the absolute pulse in order to initialize sinusoidal commutation off the encoder differential pulses.
    This rules out the use of BLDC motors or any AC motor that does not have the initialize pulse.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.