584,826 active members*
5,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

power draw bar / ATC

Just keeping you all posted that we have been working hard 8hrs per day on designing a power draw bar and ATC retrofit for all of the syil mills.

(not the speedmaster), We hope to have something together in the next few weeks. I have been a slave to my Autocad inventor now for weeks, we have come up with a few methods the put no load on the spindle bearings.

Our focus is a bolt on device that any one can put on their self, first to come is the power draw that is activated via mach3 and the on board relay. The atc should follow with in a few weeks.

you all know that as soon as i have a prototype i will post the video, then i will know pricing and such.

Keith

Look forward to seeing what you come up with Keith.

pumped!

I'm in too!

First let me say that it's great to see a Syil distributor working on some "value added" products for the Syil mills.

Like everyone else, I really want to see what you've come up with. I'm especially interested in the power draw bar. Can't wait to see pics, videos and a cost estimate.

Great work Keith

Hi Kieth,
    I am interested. Great support on your part.
    Len

SyiL Canada

Hey thanks guys, I am just about done the blueprints. In the next day or 2 I am picking up components, and going to be cutting chips soon. Beleive me I am excited to get this going on, I think I now have a few hundred hours of design in to the power drawbar. I am averaging 8hrs per day,6 days a week on this dam project.

The largest time being spent on, ease of retofit, no load on spindle bearings, weight and compact size. If all goes well the the retofit will only be 5 to 6 inches high, totaly enclosed, and capable of holding the tool with approx 1000 lbs of force!

Once the power draw bar is done, is on to the tool changing system. Though belive it or not this will be the easy part. The changer should not take more than 100 hours of design.

We are making this system to fit on to most x4 class machines!!!!

You all will be the first to know and see the videos !

syil canada / cad photos

just some cad photos, of the power draw bar. Guess its a teaser, but the real deal to come soon.

keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x4 head drawbar.jpg   x4 head drawbar2.jpg  

very cool Kieth.

- Dan (Edmonton)

Any more on this unit yet?

Syil Canada

Working away, today we are machining up the last of the parts. I hope to have it 100% complete by this weekend!!!!
    We are trying to not rush things, we have already spent hundreds of hours in the cad design. We know that it will work great as, it has been extensively tested in inventor.

I will keep you all posted,

keith

Hi Kieth,
    No rush on my part. I'd rther wait a little longer and see it done right instead of fast.
    What do you think about Inventor? I'm in the process of self teaching the program to myself and love it. After spending time using AutoCad 2009 , Inventor beats it all to hell.
    Regards,
    Len

Smile Inventor

Quote Originally Posted by LEN1042 View Post
    Hi Kieth,
    No rush on my part. I'd rther wait a little longer and see it done right instead of fast.
    What do you think about Inventor? I'm in the process of self teaching the program to myself and love it. After spending time using AutoCad 2009 , Inventor beats it all to hell.
    Regards,
    Len

Good day Len,

I love Inventor it has made me alot of money, though it has also cost me alot of money. One copy of the software cost me 10,600.00 , with that though it also included all of the support and 5 days of one on one training.

I found that the training was crutial to using the software, i guess i could have tought my self the program but id still be learning rather then making money.

I kind of looked at it like this, there was cheap ways of getting the software. Though if i did not know how to use it there was no point.

the mechanical testing / simulation modual is great and has saved me alot of money in prototyping, long before the part gets produced i know it works. Before id make the part, put it together and say"oops" that just cost me couple of thousand dollars.

Now i spend the time in the software, test it , blueprint it , import the drawing in to mecsoft visual mill and make it.

any other questions let me know,

keith

you know i have always been interested in inventor. I just checked my autocad student account for the first time in a while and realized i have a 13 month seat to inventor professional. I can't wait. thanks for motivating me to get it.

can't wait to see the drawbar.
    cheers!

Syil Canada Power draw bar

The draw bar is done, I am off to china next week to meet with my good friends in china. When i am there we will post some info and such on the draw bar / ATC. Dont worry you all will be the first to know.

Any questions let me know!

Keith

Sounds good Keith, I look forward to seeing it.

David

+1
    looking forward to see your invention Keith!
    ● Distribuidor Syil en Argentina ● "www.syil.com.ar" ●

updates Keith? Thanks!
    ● Distribuidor Syil en Argentina ● "www.syil.com.ar" ●

keith will back home after 8 hours,
    this stay in china 11 days.
    we finished the darw bar,air spindle,ATC.MPG cnc mode.etc...
    later we will post on the web..
    but not now....hehe
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

Syil power drawbar / prototype ATC, Syil China, Syil Canada, Syil North America

HERE IT IS!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdPr085JLac"]YouTube- Syil's Bolt on power drawbar, for tabletop cnc mills[/ame]

Syil Power draw bar,
    We are pleased to announce Syil Canada has engineer the only professional bolt on power draw bar system specifically designed for bench top mills. Syil Canada has worked extensively in collaboration with Syil china to engineer this ground breaking advancement. This advancement will change the whole bench top CNC market. This design will also work in cooperation with our bolt-on automatic tool changer.
    Our proprietary design has endured hundreds of hours of development, prototyping and testing. The main emphasis of our design is to provide no load to the spindle bearings, compact size and light weight. All of these factors are crucial to safe and non-destructive use of a power draw bar system.
    Our Power drawbar utilizes full mach3 control when used with a Syil Machine, this system will also be upgradeable to the Siemens 802c control system. For retrofits to a non syil machine, if you manufacture has not provided you with a spare mach3 controlled relay you will need to add one.
    Spindle Bearings / Load:
    Our system is capable of providing over >1000lbs of tool retention force, and an equal pneumatic downward force to release the tool. This pneumatic downward force is not transferred down through the spindle, spindle column, or spindle bearings.
    Spindle bearings were never designed to handle any type of vertical or side load, these types of loads will permanently damage the bearings in the spindle. Installing any aftermarket power draw bar that applies a load to the spindle bearings can and will void any manufactures warranty. Other draw bar designs on the market utilize 1000s lbs of down ward force to drop the r8 collet; this downward force is then transferred to the spindle bearings causing permanent damage.
    Compact size / light weight:
    Our Pneumatic system weighs in under 7lbs, adding anything over 10lbs on the z axis has the potential to cause damage to , Ball screws, Gas strut, stepper motor coupler, and premature Gibb wear. This additional weight can also lead to reduced part repeatability; these factors can also void manufactures warranty.
    Tool Retention:
    though our design is compact and light weight it is still capable of applying over 1000 lbs of upward force for tool retention. Preventing the tool holder from slipping out of the r8 collet. During testing we locked the spindle, and were not able to move the tool holder with a wrench!

Our proprietary unique design allows for easy installation on most bench top style machines; this system utilizes a collet based R8 quick change tooling system . This type of power draw bar system also allows for the use of our bolt on automatic tool changer this changing system will utilize the ER20 style of quick change tooling. (To be released spring 2010)

Available for pre-sale NOW!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12