585,679 active members*
5,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal external servo control or Haas external servo control

Fadal external servo control or Haas external servo control

How do these integrate into the machine? We are looking at adding a Haas external servo control unit for a B axis in a different type of application and I need to know if this will work with a -4 system. Now I am assuming you just need the 1010-4 board and a cable with the extra cable plug for the external servo control. Will this work that way? Neal?

We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Fadal has a few "M" function outputs, but in order to get that you need to add PCB-0008 (1050-3) to slot 16 (between 1040 and clock card). I have one available if you need it.

Have a good holiday!
    Need help with your Fadal? Send me a message or visit www.TheFadalParts.com. We have over 25 years of experience at Fadal and offer FREE TECHNICAL SUPPORT OVER THE PHONE!

The Hass indexer needs a M function Board, and a cable connected to the motherboard.
    (4 wires).

Carbidecraters--
    Iess55 and Denmar are right on the money. You will need the 1050 M function board. and Yes it should work.

Neal

So from what I gather I will need the 1010-4 axis controller card and the 1050-3 M code card and to check the pinout. This is for adding a 5th axis to a already 4 axis machine and we will still need to keep the rs232 open. What wiring part number for the 5th axis cable connect ect? This is a -3 88HS DC system.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

An Indexer doe NOT require a 1010 card. The rotary motors is controlled by the external control box and not the VMC control.
    It will be interesting to see how you syncronize a 4th and a 5th indexer!!

Neal

My issue is that I dont want to have to buy an extra amp, amp chassis, controller card, wiring for adding a B axis while an A is present. You would think these would be the best buck option for using a full B axis without breaking the bank on "in the back cabinet electronics". Unless I am wrong and you can only get indexing out of these and not full axis capability.

There are a few extra M functions available (on my -4 anyway (63 and 64 maybe?).
    I don't know what output is given from them Likely low voltage at milliamp). It wouldnt take much for an electrician to switch a relay giving whatever power out needed to signal the stand alone rotary.
    If it is a constant index, you could wire a trigger switch and when index is needed just move the/a toolholder over to make the switch contact.
    Maybe I am being too simplistic.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Pardon my ignorance. Are these programmable rotary tables basically akin to electronic dividing tables that receive limited inputs, ie a single pulse telling it only to index to the next programmed location. I would guess there is a reset signal as well? Am I correct in thinking that the Fadal would need an additional driver board ect set up in the same manor as the 4th axis thats already there in order to be a fully functional 5th axis machine?

Adding this 1050 M function board is nothing more than an on/off relay similar to what would manage machine coolant, ect. Thanks. Dave

From what I understand the stand alone servo control has the amp and the drive in it and all you need to do is integrate it into a 5th axis plug and it does the rest.

So the 5th axis plug is giving signals more complex than a simple pulse to go? Thanks. Dave

Coming into this rather late, I can say a few things about the Fadal Indexer having assembled them and provided technical support at the factory.

The control box does have it's own amplifier. The connector is not the same as the DC 4th axis connector. It is fully stand alone usable, or M-function controllable from the CNC. On a fadal machine there is a built in DNC index macro, #INDEX, that will send the index commands from the CNC to the indexer via RS-232, which allows for tighter integration of the index control with the CNC. Particularly in the event of a fault condition, the indexer can send an e-stop command to the CNC which could prevent crashes. With th #index macro the m-function card is not needed.
    ex:
    #INDEX "G1 F150. A90."
    will move the indexer 90 deg at 150 deg/min through the RS-232 cable without the use of an M-Function card.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    An Indexer does NOT require a 1010 card. The rotary motors is controlled by the external control box and not the VMC control.
    It will be interesting to see how you syncronize a 4th and a 5th indexer!!

Neal
    Neal,
    There was one special TR-65 (trunion 4th&5th axis - for those not familiar with the Fadal rotary models) used at Westec that was configured to be run with two indexer controls for a demonstration. A special cable was made to run each indexer off the finish signal of the other.

It would be impossible to fully synchronise multiple Fadal indexers via m-function or RS-232.